weird voltage readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrhoads

I have an issue with the installation of some can lights and recpt circuits. My recpt circuit is disconnected on both ends but when I reference it to a ground in the breaker panel, I read 50vac on my dvm. When I turn off the lighting breaker the voltage goes away?? Any ideas?? thanks

mivey

I have an issue with the installation of some can lights and recpt circuits. My recpt circuit is disconnected on both ends but when I reference it to a ground in the breaker panel, I read 50vac on my dvm. When I turn off the lighting breaker the voltage goes away?? Any ideas?? thanks
Phantom voltage. Put a load on the circuit and it should disappear.

add: I was too slow

drrhoads

I understand the induction part but, i did get a "tingle". I pulled the wire back out of the breaker panel and had it hanging in free air. I referenced a ground in the panel and read 50vac. My concern was a possible "back-feed" somehow?? Why the "tingle"??

drrhoads

All is 12/2 w/g Romex. All is new installation. recept circuit is in EMT conduit on the outside of the finished wall.

drrhoads

501ed.....I'm with you, This should be a textbook install. The "tingle" concerned me a little but I agree with the phantom.

cadpoint

You have a nick in the wire that's in the conduit! Probably the undgrounded wire!

Or

You have a nick or pinch in the can light branch! I"m thinking the latter, due to you OP description.

Rememeber that you should not read any voltage on a single circuit of neutral to ground! Thus your 50 volts!

Maybe I'm totally wrong to say "remember" that but I've seen a pinched wire on a circuit were I could read 50 volts on neutral to ground, shorted the wire (not by me) that then blown out the pinch point on a ungrounded circuit.

09171015511.jpg

PS
The stray voltage on the neutral also smoked a majastic motion sensor that was put in without checking for this shorted or grounded circuit voltage, by me! I don't think it's phantom in this/(your) case!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.