User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: single phase 208v neutral

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JimT typo....My Mother always told me to take typing. In the 60"s I never saw a need for it.
    Brian John
    Leesburg, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think itís important to remember that current will flow between two points of different potential if given a path to do so. One of those points can have a potential of zero volts with respect to ground but of course it is not necessary. In a single phase 208V circuit with no neutral, the two voltage lines are alternating from negative to positive in voltage and they are doing so at opposite times with respect to each other. That is why current flows without a neutral.

I have heard the term common used mostly for DC but occasionally I see it used with AC such as the low voltage transformer of a doorbell, furnace or thermostat. Perhaps every neutral is a common but every common is not a neutral. In my mind, common implies that half the circuit shares the conductor and the other half does not. So I do not see a neutral as a common unless it is a split phase or poly phase system or there is a bus or chassis as the conductor. Simply being at neutral potential is not enough. Just my opinion...