In Wall Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

Getting ready to install a flat screen TV. I'm aware that an HDMI cable run iside a wall must be rated "In wall". My question is why? I know it is because the code says so , but I'm trying to understand the reason why it is safer.

I assume the reason is the same for other cables such as sj cord, regular speaker wires, etc. (I can't think of any others right now) and I assume it has something to do with the material the jacket is made of.

mkgrady

Smoke and flame spread. The Informational Notes in 820.176 mention this.

Thanks, but why is this an issue. The home theater system has lots of cables that are not run in walls. If these cables burn there will be alot of smoke and flame spread. Why are the cables in the walls more restricted? After all, if a standard cable catches fire they will smoke and spread flames much slower if they are in a wall. What am I missing? Wouldn't it make more sense to make the cables not run in the walls safer?

S'mise

Hold a scrap piece of speaker wire vertical and light it with a lighter. OUTSIDE PLEASE.
You will smell toxic fumes, and as the jacket rapidly melts off it will drop flaming balls like a Roman candle on your feet. Not a good thing to have in your walls.

Type CM, CMU I assume is not as flamable and the smoke will not kill you (as quickly anyway).

220wire

If there is a fire I'd imagine most wouldn't be hanging out to verify the performace of a cable.

Could you install it in conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.