Taped Wirenuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

Krim said:
I wish it (romex) came in a box like the communications wiring does so we never had to deal with it kinking up once you've removed it from the cellophane wrapping .

Carl :rolleyes:

Tape comes on a roll and is covered by cellophane wrapping....:grin: :grin:

Krim

wbalsam1 said:
Tape comes on a roll and is covered by cellophane wrapping....:grin: :grin:

Not the kind I buy, it comes in those little round plastic containers that after removing the tape, I use 'em to store all kinds of the little things in.
I also usually buy 'em in box quantities 10 or 12 rolls to a box.

Carl :)

wbalsam1

Krim said:
Not the kind I buy, it comes in those little round plastic containers that after removing the tape, I use 'em to store all kinds of the little things in.
I also usually buy 'em in box quantities 10 or 12 rolls to a box.

Carl :)

Oh I get my tape from some guy who calls me up and says "How ya doin' this morning buddy? Boy have I got a deal for you. 10,000 rolls of great tape for only .20 cents a roll"..:grin: Then when it comes on three tractor trailers and I open the brittle cellophane wrapping and dig at the tape a while to get it started, about a 36" inch strip comes off all at once...and I realize the guy at Harbor Salvage (or whatever that place is called) has got my money and gone....:grin:

480sparky

Krim said:
I wish it (romex) came in a box like the communications wiring does so we never had to deal with it kinking up once you've removed it from the cellophane wrapping .

Carl :rolleyes:

You remove the wrapper?!?!!?

Don't.... just pull it out through a hole in the center.

I only remove the wrapper when I'm down to the last 20 feet or so.

mdshunk

480sparky said:

Same here. I remove the wrapper at the point when I'm trying to get more cable out of the middle, and what's left of the coil picks up off the floor. Agreed, and double agreed... don't take the wrapper off.

peter d

480sparky said:

Yeah, I leave one coil around with the wrapper on it for short runs. I just take a bunch of spirals from the center and walk it out.

For new houses I just take the wrapper off and put it on the romex spinner.

stickboy1375

peter d said:
Yeah, I leave one coil around with the wrapper on it for short runs. I just take a bunch of spirals from the center and walk it out.

For new houses I just take the wrapper off and put it on the romex spinner.

I do the same... ;) :grin:

76nemo

brian john said:
While I understand it may be unconftable to have your peers question a practice you do as a standard installation procedure, but for me this has been somewhat eye opening as I never understood why people felt it necessary to tape wirenuts. Still do not understand why but understand you stance.

For me this site is about education and comradery, in this vein this thread meets those requirements and does not violate the rules of the moderators. Does it?

For tapers what type of work do you do, in new residential I would think this would be time consuming?

My "peers"???? My Father died 7 years ago.

Let's leave it alone. What a hypocrite, I am adding to this!

Forget it, sorry.

dab

tape

tape

sometimes when your fingers are just plain frozen you opt to tape them together so that they don't move when applying a wire nut. this usually occurs for me when i am putting together five or more conductors. the tape does not have anything to do with the integrity of the wire nut staying on.

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
Oh, stop!

A lump of sugar for me, please. ;)

Come on every one gather 'round for a GROUP HUG!

Group_Hug.JPG

brian john

76nemo:

Peers as in friends, associates, same social status, age, and profession, and while you may not consider us you peers I consider the ONLINE FRIENDS a beneficial part of my life and my peers.

Sorry you feelings were hurt.

lpelectric

dab said:
sometimes when your fingers are just plain frozen you opt to tape them together so that they don't move when applying a wire nut. this usually occurs for me when i am putting together five or more conductors. the tape does not have anything to do with the integrity of the wire nut staying on.

Alas! A practical use for tape! :grin: :grin:

boboelectric

wbalsam1 said:
I've done countless jobs over the years where the old-tyme electricians had soldered their connections and used tape to cover them. That taping job held up for scores of years and was a real pain to un-tape.

When I was doing electrical work I used scotch 33 and taped my redheads on, and taped my wirenuts. I always reasoned that tape was an insulator that would help contain any arcs that potentially could occur from any loose connections. I always tried to make every connection tight, but liked the extra precaution. :smile:
I started wiring tract homes crimping and taping with Slipknot Grey tape.I still like crimping grounding conductors.

jnsane84

I've always taped my wirenuts when I do a connection. Guess i'm just old school and I was trained by a couple old school guys who always did it that way so I suppose its just force of habit. I've always thought that by taping it you were lowering the risk of anything making any sort of contact with any portion of the internals within the wirenut. Not sure I'll stop doing it but i'm sure I'll think about it everytime I do it in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.