motor feeder: use conduit for ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

I'm the engineer on this one. Renovation of existing building, the inspector is making us bring the elevator up to code (NEC '08). In the course of performing some of the flagged upgrades the electrician noticed there is not presently a ground conductor from the existing panel to the existing elevator disconnect switch. I directed him to pull a new ground. His foreman tried but was unable to without pulling out the wiring.
The options are:
(A) Pull out the old wiring and pull in new 130' feeder w/ ground. OR
(B) Use the existing IMC as ground, which he has visually inspected for solid connections and confirmed is bonded at the distribution panel.

I looked at elevator article 620 sections VII (OCP) and IX (grounding) and confirmed they don't require anything unusual - deferring to article 430 part V, and article 250 parts V and VII, respectively.

All that to say I readily admit grounding is not my area of expertise, but this doesn't look like too tricky of a question. Just want to make sure I don't (A) waste owner's money on something not required by code, or (B) direct the contractor do do something that does not meet code.

Any help? Thanks!

raider1

Staff member
IMC can be used as an equipment grounding conductor, there is no need to pull an equipment grounding conductor of the wire type if the IMC is installed properly.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Chris. The only portion of the circuit that would require a wire type EGC would be where a flexible wiring method were used because the motor installation required flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.