Spacing of supports on PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

Not sure if this is the best area to post this question since the "Contracting and Estimating" one is gone but anyway.... I 'd like to tap the experience of the forum members. What is a good spacing for an open air support (minnerallacs hanging from all thread) of sch 80 PVC conduit? I know the code minimum but I'm sure it will sag between supports if I do that. Would every 2 feet prevent this?

iwire

Staff member
If you have to put in a support every 2' is it really cost effective to use PVC in the first place?

BTW, this is a fine spot for this.

controlled

Not sure if this is the best area to post this question since the "Contracting and Estimating" one is gone but anyway.... I 'd like to tap the experience of the forum members. What is a good spacing for an open air support (minnerallacs hanging from all thread) of sch 80 PVC conduit? I know the code minimum but I'm sure it will sag between supports if I do that. Would every 2 feet prevent this?

Contracting and estimating isn't gone, it's been renamed business management / estimating

kwired

Electron manager
Is there a good reason not to use rigid or IMC?

If corrosion is the reason how long is the all thread and straps going to last, unless they are stainless?

plumb bob

Pick your poison, it will not look good if it's sagging, and it will not look good with a support every two feet (which is probabaly about what it would take to keep it from sagging.) Exposed pvc is tough on the eyes any way you slice it. :(

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Is there a good reason not to use rigid or IMC?

If corrosion is the reason how long is the all thread and straps going to last, unless they are stainless?

That's what I was thinking, but figured he must have a reason to use pvc?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Perhpas you could hang a piece of unistrut horizontally to the rods and hang the PVC along the strut. You can clamp it easily every few feet that way.

patc

Spacing of supports on PVC

Remember.....pvc expands and contracts......figure in expansion joints AND hangers which allow movement to occur.....mineralacs do not meet that criteria

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Remember.....pvc expands and contracts......figure in expansion joints AND hangers which allow movement to occur.....mineralacs do not meet that criteria

He's only going 10 feet and it's hanging by allthread in free air. I would say it's going to be just fine.

Perhpas you could hang a piece of unistrut horizontally to the rods and hang the PVC along the strut. You can clamp it easily every few feet that way.

You can also install perforated angle support and support it from underneath. Unistrut PrimeAngle rather than the channel framing. More cost effective way to support it, it is also used to support PVC pipe.

All-in-all though if the PVC conduit is used for corrosion resistance neither of the plain vanilla Unistrut systems offer any protection against it so your support system would be the weak link in corrosion resistance and mechanical survivability.

ritelec

You can also install perforated angle support and support it from underneath. Unistrut PrimeAngle rather than the channel framing. More cost effective way to support it, it is also used to support PVC pipe.

nice thought.

can make a person get to think (maybe too much at times).

off topic if conditions (environment) is an issue....yet gets a person thinking.

for support.......for plastic or metal conduit (tubing) ..........40' of a distance in area to travel (4-10' lengths secured together of angle or v-bar).......one drop of 1" or shoot 1/4 " of all thread/thread rod to support the angle iron or kindorff. Support conduit to code......

interesting, yet practical and something to think about on future installs. Wouldn't design or install as described but it's thinking outside the box....which I like.

thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.