Local electrician dead; no lock-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

James@CHA

I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my initial comment. I did not make that statement intending to hurt anyone, it is just my opinion.

That being said, i wouldnt take back the comment if i could. This man's death could have been prevented.

This is the same as hearing about someone falling off a roof or scaffolding, that was not properly "tied-off" with a harness or other safety equipment.

Their is no excuse to not follow safety precautions. You can either do it the right way, or take the risk of getting injured.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I've had non-english speaking persons cut my locks and tag and turn it on anyway, if your in the middle of working on something, your toast, so always double check for presence of voltage frequently. I sometimes tape a tick tracer with a ground attached to it to one of the wires to alert me if someone cuts it on.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
zog said:
That is really sad, minimal safety training should be required to get an electrical license.
I'd be willing to bet that he had some idea that what he was doing was potentially unsafe. He either forgot, or chose not to take the time to do it safely.

The other day I was on a service call. I opened up a cabinet that was live and started puttering around inside it. Hard to debug stuff with the power off. Floor was slippery from oil. I could easily have taken a tumble and grabbed onto something live on my way down.

brian john

This man's death could have been prevented.

Yes it may have been preventable, BUT MAYBE NOT BY HIM

Did you read my post?

While I do not know all the circumstances as I noted in my post, mistakes may have been made, totally outside his control. I know of several, one I noted in my post.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
brian john said:
I want to make sure everyone is clear tenants are safe, other trades are clear, building personnel are all accounted for and the building owner or responsible party must give the clearance to restore power.
That's what these dudes are for:

lockout.jpg

mdshunk

LarryFine said:
That's what these dudes are for:
I went to lunch break once with my lock on a disconnect. While I was eating lunch, a production supervisor had ordered my lock cut off and the machine prepared for production. If I hadn't checked, I may not have known the machine wasn't still locked off.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have did what I did, but I was vocal enough about it to get a man who was nearing company retirement, fired. If I had it to do over, I should have just flattened his car tires or something and got over it. I really didn't think they'd fire him. His lost a lot because of my big mouth.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I went to lunch break once with my lock on a disconnect. While I was eating lunch, a production supervisor had ordered my lock cut off and the machine prepared for production. If I hadn't checked, I may not have known the machine wasn't still locked off.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have did what I did, but I was vocal enough about it to get a man who was nearing company retirement, fired. If I had it to do over, I should have just flattened his car tires or something and got over it. I really didn't think they'd fire him. His lost a lot because of my big mouth.

I wonder what the flip side would have been had you been injured or killed by his cutting the lock off? Not doubt the ramifications would have been quite serious for him and the company.

SmithBuilt

mdshunk said:

I would rather be fired than feel like the person who turned the breaker on in the original post. I can't imagine how bad this guy feels. For the rest of his life.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
mdshunk said:
If I had it to do over, I should have just flattened his car tires or something and got over it.

That sounds like a girlie thing to do, as a matter of fact I had an ex girl friend do that 30 years ago.

Sorry, but he would have probably taken a beaten by me and hopefully still would have been fired regardless of his age or retirement status

Roger

mdshunk

roger said:
That sounds like a girlie thing to do, as a matter of fact I had an ex girl friend do that 30 years ago.
Now that you mention it, that's probably right. A thinking man would yank out his valve stems, then place them in the mail to arrive back at his house in a few days. I'm not much of a fighter anyhow, but I can outrun anyone who wants to, so that's a blessing.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
mdshunk said:
Now that you mention it, that's probably right. A thinking man would yank out his valve stems, then place them in the mail to arrive back at his house in a few days. I'm not much of a fighter anyhow, but I can outrun anyone who wants to, so that's a blessing.

Well, earlier in my life I had been known to wait until my time came without having to chase anyone.

I was on a job in the early 80's where this scenario actually happened, (although no one was fired and I was a bystander / beat stopper) and the guilty party spent a few days in the hospital, it was over a taped off (LOTO was not so well observed in those days) breaker feeding a 277 volt circuit

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.