Feeding Non-Metallic Surface Raceway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc1

Hello all,
I am considering installing some Hubbell BaseTrak along an office wall. Hubbell calls it Non metallic surface raceway, although it allows you to install outlets in it. My question is, can I feed it with M.C. cable or EMT? I know that there becomes issues with non-metallic enclosures with the bonding issue, but cannot find anything in regards to the surface raceway. Article 388 doesn't say I can't, but I feel like there may be something in article 250 or 300 that I'm missing.
Thanks!

Arc1

The BaseTrak is more similar to a WireMold product. It is a large raceway with dividers allowing you to install power and data in one system. The outlets also install in the track. I was going to run in along the base of a wall for cubicle power/data needs. I know I could feed it with pvc, no problem, but MC cable would be much easier and NM is out of the question.

Arc1

Okay, so after thinking about it, once I add the receptacles, it becomes a nonmetallic multioutlet assembly- per article 100. I still don't know if I can attach MC to it, and if it would need a bonding bushing or something else?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Okay, so after thinking about it, once I add the receptacles, it becomes a nonmetallic multioutlet assembly- per article 100. I still don't know if I can attach MC to it, and if it would need a bonding bushing or something else?

The MC I have seen comes with a green wire. That would extend into the plastic raceway. I don't see where a bonding bushing would come into play here. it is already bonded at the other end of the MC - right?

Most of these plastic raceways have a junction box like doohickey for connecting up other raceways or cables.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I agree with Bob. 300.15(A) makes it clear your doohickey is not a box, but is allowed in lieu of a box.

250.4 and 250.96 require the MC sheathing to be bonded, that can happen at either end.

I'd say you're good to go. :)

kwired

Electron manager
I am apprehensive because you are not allowed to do with nonmetallic boxes, per 314.3.

314.3 exception 1:

Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided between all entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.

If it there is only one connected metal raceway or metallic sheathed cable, then there is nothing to provide additional bonding to.

If there is more than one metal raceway or metal sheathed cable, then use bonding bushings or other equivalent and bond them together.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
314.3 exception 1:

If it there is only one connected metal raceway or metallic sheathed cable, then there is nothing to provide additional bonding to.

If there is more than one metal raceway or metal sheathed cable, then use bonding bushings or other equivalent and bond them together.

You think it's a box?

Arc1

Thanks, guys. I agree that it is not a box, and if it were then the multiple entries should be bonded together. I just wanted to get some second opinions before I put down a couple grand on the stuff. The metallic version is twice as expensive and more labor intensive to install, so that is why the nonmetallic stuff is attractive for my situation. BTW, the manufacturer allows 'cable' or 'conduit' entries to be installed at any point along the track, so I will not necessarily be using the 'doohickey.' But still, not a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.