User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interesting tool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky
    I'm amazed at how many consumer contraptions are sold with the claim that it "takes the work out of ..." whatever you're doing. Was it ever really that difficult to plant a flower or a bulb? Man people are lazy...
    Did you all notice that the tool was digging in prepared soil or composted soil. I could scoop that soil out with my hands.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Swartz
    What an awesome tool!!!!

I think I am going to order 10 of them, just to get the Dewalt drill they were showing...

Seriously, I think I'm gonna order a kit though...

Greg
    Forget that, I'm gonna order a couple dozen auger's and give em as birthday and Christmas gifts. If I buy em now I'll have all my Christmas shoppin done in May.......YIPEEE
    # Individuals who make their abode in vitreous edifices would be advised to refrain from catapulting petrous projectiles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that came in a 5/8" version, we could drill our hole for the ground rod and just drop it in.:grin:
    John, Chair City, NC
    Technology: Mans best efforts to make things as good as they used to be

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a tool that looks like that auger. I bought it at a local hardware store for about 5 or 10 bucks, I believe. I used it (in rocky soil, by the way) to dig holes for the bulbs my wife wanted to plant. It worked beautifully; it was fast and efficient. I used my reversable, corded, drill, and I got the job done in a couple minutes.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iaov
    Went on a call today where a guy with a stump grinder tore up a wire to a storage shed. 12/2 NM burried almost a whole 3 inches under ground!! Left him an estimate to redo the feed properly. He wanted me just to splice the wire back together. My guess is he waited until I left and redid it himself.
    Can you really blame him? TheNM has been there for how many years and not been a problem. You want to charge him X thousands of dollars to replace something he sees as being perfectly servicable.

Its going to be difficult to explain why NM is not not the best choice for burying underground when it has worked for all this time.

Just curious, if it was UF and it was buried 22 inches deep instead of the code 24" deep would you be willing to repair it?
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra
    Just curious, if it was UF and it was buried 22 inches deep instead of the code 24" deep would you be willing to repair it?
    I would repair it and throw 2 more inches of dirt on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electricman2
    If that came in a 5/8" version, we could drill our hole for the ground rod and just drop it in.:grin:
    Thanks for my next invention...
    For only $19.95 (batteries not included) you can OWN the handy dandy ground rod hole digger. Save hours of BACKBREAKING labor and be the first person on your block to own one.
    Greg Swartz 8-)
    Colorado Licensed Journeyman Electrician, Master Electrician, Electrical Contractor, and Electrical Engineer!

USMC 1991-2000 1142/8563

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation The Real Heart of the Matter...

Can you really blame him? TheNM has been there for how many years and not been a problem. You want to charge him X thousands of dollars to replace something he sees as being perfectly servicable.

Its going to be difficult to explain why NM is not not the best choice for burying underground when it has worked for all this time.

I have to think long and hard on that one... I know there are splice kits that are designed for underground use... I've used em. But always on a temporary run. Now you're asking if I'd be willing to do it for a homeowner in a permanent installation.

The real heart of the matter...
    Am I willing to do something right OR am I willing to do it wrong?

Is the code book really so black and white that there are no recourses?
    Am I willing to walk away if the customer asks me to take a short-cut?

Justification for doing it wrong:
    No one will ever get hurt.
    It really is safe.
    There are kits designed for underground use.
    The customer will save money, and maybe use my services again.
    Greg Swartz 8-)
    Colorado Licensed Journeyman Electrician, Master Electrician, Electrical Contractor, and Electrical Engineer!

USMC 1991-2000 1142/8563

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under the sidewalks?

I wonder how it would work for getting lines under side walks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Maybe this is my ignorance, but I don't see a problem in the world with that. Given how often I see UG installations that are so shallow they're actually sticking out of the ground, I'm not going to lose sleep if someone else is 2" shallow of code.

What's the failure rate on those UG splices? They always looked pretty solid to me, and there's nothing saying they can't be beefed up with a few layers of Super 33+.

I would definitely push for GFCI protection on the line because that's a no-lose situation, but I think even without it that installation is reasonably safe.

-John