#2 Al SER from a generator to transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Most likely both terminations are 75?, however, you may encounter two problems. One, almost all the generators I've inspected have a notation for copper conductor terminations only, secondly, depending on which Code cycle is being enforced, SE cables are restricted to their 60? rating. (See 338.10 in your applicable Code)i

JDB3

All of this is confusing to this old timer. If termination point is listed for @ 75 & over-current device is 100 or more, using SE cable in insulation, you have to use the 60 degree column? I had asked a similar question before, & now an more confused???????? :? :?

Cavie

All of this is confusing to this old timer. If termination point is listed for @ 75 & over-current device is 100 or more, using SE cable in insulation, you have to use the 60 degree column? I had asked a similar question before, & now an more confused???????? :? :?

The 60 degree collum for cable is only for the 2008 code. Wording was left out of the exception for 2008. 2005 and 20011 have the correct wording for the 75 degree collum. It messed with this old timmers head also. Especilly since we are not yet on the 2011 here in Fl.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The 60 degree collum for cable is only for the 2008 code. Wording was left out of the exception for 2008. 2005 and 20011 have the correct wording for the 75 degree collum. It messed with this old timmers head also. Especilly since we are not yet on the 2011 here in Fl.

Wondering if the wording was left out on purpose or by accident. Was it code change for 2008 now it is being changed again for 2011?

JDB3

One area where I do work, states in their ['adjustments '] to the code, something to the effect "or which ever is more stricter ". I think that this is to cover themselves! They have a 10 outlet limit per circuit (regardless of what is on it). I have asked them WHY, with the answer "because". In another area, every kitchen counter top receptacle has to be on its own circuit [ 7 receptacles = 7 circuits]. Needless to say I have to increase panel size & have had to add a panel !!!!!!!!!!

jazer

I am not following this discussion clearly... I don't see where in the 2005 code that SE is restricted to 60 degree??? Help??? Also on the topic, I know that you cannot sleeve SE in a raceway outdoors due to it being a wet location, but I cannot recall where to find this????

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I am not following this discussion clearly... I don't see where in the 2005 code that SE is restricted to 60 degree??? Help??? Also on the topic, I know that you cannot sleeve SE in a raceway outdoors due to it being a wet location, but I cannot recall where to find this????

As I recall, the 60? requirement first appeared in the 2008 Code in 338.10. Also in the '08 Code under 338.12, "Uses Not Permitted",
"Underground, with or without a raceway" was added

The '11 Code changed 338.10 to less restrictive parameters. The possibilty of SE at 60? being a problem for the OP would depend on the deatils of the install and his Code cycle.

Last edited:

jazer

I found it......338.10(4)a states that SE be installed in compliance with Article 334 Parts I and II (NM Cable) EXCEPT 334.80.....which is the statement that NM be limited to the 60 degree rating. Also, the restriction to sleeving SE outdoors comes from 334.12(B)(4) ...exposed to moisture or dampness.

per 2005

ceb58

Wondering if the wording was left out on purpose or by accident. Was it code change for 2008 now it is being changed again for 2011?
It was a change for the 08 cycle. Now for the 11 it changes some. You can use the 75deg column as long as the SE is not in contact with insulation. But if it is in contact you must go back to the 60 deg.

Most likely both terminations are 75?, however, you may encounter two problems. One, almost all the generators I've inspected have a notation for copper conductor terminations only, secondly, depending on which Code cycle is being enforced, SE cables are restricted to their 60? rating. (See 338.10 in your applicable Code)i
I agree with Gus the generator mfg. require copper conductors so Alum. is out. Also depending on the size of the generator, say a 20Kw it will have a 100 amp breaker on it. You must size the wire to the OCD. #3 Cu

Status
Not open for further replies.