Modifying A Generator (Neutral Bonding To The Frame)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonDan

I have a 3500/4000 Watt Champion Generator that I'm planning on using in two scenarios:
1) As a stand alone unit, with neutral bonded to the frame(Generator Ground)
2) For emergeny purposes, connected to my main circuit breaker box using an interlock with a 30A power inlet. Neutral will not be bonded to the generator frame and will be floating at the generator.

I don't want to have to connect/disconnect the neutral bonding wire every time my use scenario changes. I'm thinking of adding a switch to the generator neutral bonding wire to turn neutral bonding on/off on the fly. I don't see any problems, but wanted to ask those with more knowledge than I. Does anyone see concerns with this strategy?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.