FPE Bus Duct switch question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
I am doing a design on a remodel project and they have a ton of the FPE Bus duct ran inside their facility. I was wondering if anyone new if there was another manufacturers bus duct switches that are compatible with the existing FPE bus duct. The existing bust duct is the FPE-Plug -in type and is 800Amp, 277/480V, 3 phase, 4 wire.

I have attached a picture (if it works) of the only tag I saw on the bus duct.

Thanks in advance for any help.

img_1310.jpg

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
CAUTION !!!!!!!

CAUTION !!!!!!!

I am doing a design on a remodel project and they have a ton of the FPE Bus duct ran inside their facility. I was wondering if anyone new if there was another manufacturers bus duct switches that are compatible with the existing FPE bus duct. The existing bust duct is the FPE-Plug -in type and is 800Amp, 277/480V, 3 phase, 4 wire.

I have attached a picture (if it works) of the only tag I saw on the bus duct.

Thanks in advance for any help.

View attachment 7791

A word of advice:
Beware of FPE equipment and don't get too close, it could blow up anytime!;)

ATSman

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... Beware of FPE equipment and don't get too close, it could blow up anytime!;)

A word of question: Do you have any data showing that FPE Bus duct has any history showing any more failures than any other brand?

I'm really curious - I've never heard of any such data or any such history.

ice

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
A word of advice:
Beware of FPE equipment and don't get too close, it could blow up anytime!;)

ATSman

This equipment has been in service for a long time and from what I know they have not had any major problems with this equipment.
They did have some major problems with some exterior bus duct, that was rusted out and we had a few days of rain, and needles to say they had a major failure.

brian john

A word of question: Do you have any data showing that FPE Bus duct has any history showing any more failures than any other brand?

I'm really curious - I've never heard of any such data or any such history.

ice

I agree, we had a customer that was told their FPE transformers should be replaced, their electrician said all FPE equipment had to be replaced. Uneducated, trying to explain something they know nothing about based on limited knowledge.

Investigate, read educate yourself and be careful what one recommends unless you have facts to back up a claim.

If there was a concern and as part of regular maintenance I would perform IR on the joints and switches and during a schedule outage megger the busway. If there were any questions visually inspect the joints and switch connections during an outage.

Last edited:

norcal

The problem with FPE is issues w/ their Stab-Loc loadcenters & Stab-Loc circuit breakers, any other claims are just gossip.

brian john

The problem with FPE is issues w/ their Stab-Loc loadcenters & Stab-Loc circuit breakers, any other claims are just gossip.

No there were issues with some of their bolt in circuit breakers. I use to have the recall notice and a list of the affected models. I lost this in one of the various moves I have made over the years. But their busway was not on any recall I am aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.