0-10 dimming (yes again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
Hi All,

I know this has been discussed before and I did search the forums and read them but I still want to throw it out there.

So we have a gut/renovated building. I went to change a device (vacancy sensor with dimming) and found what is shown in the pics.

The rating on the white 2 cond. cable is 300 volts. Obviously the other conductors are THHN. Building is 120/208 volts. I thought this would be wrong, but the EE then quoted the following (see highlighted): Your opinions agree/disagree?? Is there something else that applies?

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The pictures did not show up. If the dimming circuit is an Article 725 Class 2 circuit, the dimming cable cannot be mixed with the power conductors no matter what the cable voltage rating. See Informational Note No. 1 following 300.3(C).

Some dimmer circuits can be wired as either Class 1 or Class 2. If you wire them as Class 1, you can run 16 of 18 AWG with one of the insulation types shown in 725.49(B), or any 14 AWG or larger single conductor.

If the dimmer is not marked for both Class 1 and Class 2, Exception No. 2 to 725.130(A) permits you to remark it as Class 1 and wire it as Class 1 circuit.

If you are using MC, there is a listed product that has both the power conductors and the Class 2 dimmer cable in it and that can also be used.

Occupation
Electrician
I am aware of the mc cable, we have it and use it for projects we install. Not sure what I am doing wrong with the pictures I see them in the post.

Last edited:
Occupation
Electrician
Take two, think this should work

The sensor is a Eaton VS106D1 I can not seem to find a cut sheet that shows the information on the class of wiring for the dimming.

box1.jpg box.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.