0-10 Volt dimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

I am installing some LED high bays and they are going to have the dimming option. What I did not know is that the 10volts comes from the light fixture and the + and - go to a dimming controller and somehow I guess it drops the voltage. How is the dimming controlled? I always thought that the controller gave the light fixture 0-10 volts dimming the light depending on the amount of voltage it was giving the light.

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
A lot of them will work either way - feed 0-10v from a controller or just use a pot across grey/purple.
/mike

AdrianWint

You need to be careful here ... there are two dimming systems which sound similar but are very different!

In the entertainment work there has been for many years a system of 0-10V control where the controller sends an analogue voltage to the dimmer unit & it controls the lamps. In tis scheme 0V = fully off & 10V = fully on, with proportional control inbetween ... ie 5V = 50V.

There is also another system which first originated for fluorescent lights which is the 1-10V system. This is very different to 0-10V & they are not compatible! With the 1-10V system the lighting fixture supplies the voltage between the two terminals - when the terminals are open circuit the voltage will be 10V. The controller applies a 'resistance' between these to pull a current, the more current that is pulled, (ie. the lower the resistance) the more the voltage falls and the more the fixture dims.

Status
Not open for further replies.