0-10v Dimmable Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Are they requiring them to be dimmed though?

I think 90% of the LED’s we install on commercial jobs now are 0-10v but they never specify dimming controls. I guess it’s just cheaper to build it into all fixtures than to have two different lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

I think 90% of the LED’s we install on commercial jobs now are 0-10v but they never specify dimming controls. I guess it’s just cheaper to build it into all fixtures than to have two different lines.

I don't know of any commercial LEDs that don't have 0-10V. It makes it easier to hook up to energy management and building automation.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I don't know of any commercial LEDs that don't have 0-10V. It makes it easier to hook up to energy management and building automation.

nothing for general lighting, at least in california.

what is interesting is this..... fixtures are native to the system, and
control is completely wireless. program it with a cellphone.

https://youtu.be/NhGQ3ZvU8c4

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I agree with others comments. Even though the cut sheet doesn't address it, those switches should work with Cooper Daylight sensors which would use the 0-10v dimming of the fixtures, as a separate component. Otherwise, what evidence do you have that the fixtures are actually supposed to be dimmed? I know you are estimating, so if they are supposed to dim I would just estimate the 0-10 volt wiring and let the engineer deal with it through the change order process when the job is awarded.

mstrlucky74

So if the fixture is a 0-10v dimmable it's doesn't necessarily get dimmed controls?

mstrlucky74

So the cat # number they call for on the drawings has the 'S' for the dimming option so the fixtures are to be standard 0-10v dimmed. There is no occupancy sensor involved. So to me, the switch they spec is incompatible.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0

Strathead

Occupation
So if the fixture is a 0-10v dimmable it's doesn't necessarily get dimmed controls?

That is correct. But you have to be careful. In our area Engineers are very bad about having complete drawings in regards to lighting controls and occupancy controls including plug loads. They may have just a hint and the rest is a pure WAG (wild a$$ guess). You have to decide as an estimator what you cover, what you ignore and what you clarify. If there is a daylight sensor shown near a window, for example then the fixture near the window (15ft per our code) will get 0-10V dimming. If there is a dimming panel or a dimmer on the wall then same. I have seen plans where they used a designated can like fixture type B, equipped with 0-10v dimming, and in the corridors the fixture isn't dimmed, but in several rooms like conference room etc. the same fixture is dimmed.

Strathead

Occupation
So the cat # number they call for on the drawings has the 'S' for the dimming option so the fixtures are to be standard 0-10v dimmed. There is no occupancy sensor involved. So to me, the switch they spec is incompatible.

Wrong. It means the fixture will not be dimmed in that room. As you can see that fixture, isn't even available without a dimming driver, either standard 0-10 or two different Lutron options.

mstrlucky74

Wrong. It means the fixture will not be dimmed in that room. As you can see that fixture, isn't even available without a dimming driver, either standard 0-10 or two different Lutron options.

Strat I don't I don't follow. How is it not dimmed if the fixtures calls for 0-10v dimming?

Strathead

Occupation
Strat I don't I don't follow. How is it not dimmed if the fixtures calls for 0-10v dimming?

Now I don't really follow. The fixture doesn't "call" for 0-10v dimming it is just equipped with the capability of 0-10v dimming. Take an old incandescent fixture. It is capable of being dimmed. But it isn't a dimmed fixture unless they put a dimmer on the wall. Basically the same thing. The fixture is capable of being dimmed, but it isn't dimmed unless they call for a component that controls the dimming.

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
Now I don't really follow. The fixture doesn't "call" for 0-10v dimming it is just equipped with the capability of 0-10v dimming. Take an old incandescent fixture. It is capable of being dimmed. But it isn't a dimmed fixture unless they put a dimmer on the wall. Basically the same thing. The fixture is capable of being dimmed, but it isn't dimmed unless they call for a component that controls the dimming.

I'm definitely in agreement with Strat on this one, but if there's still any hesitation, are you able to submit an RFI?

mstrlucky74

Ok, I understand what your saying but I thought since the cat # called for 0-10v it was going to be dimmed. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.