0-10v dimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Frequently LED fixtures seem to come standard with 0-10v dc dimming. I haven’t investigated, obviously, but what are the power requirements for these supplies? Could I use common dry cell batteries to supply this voltage? Is 0 volts full bright?

On most of these fixtures I believe that each fixture will source current to try to drive the input to 10V. You vary the control voltage by varying the amount of current drawn, either using a controlled current sink which targets a particular voltage, depending on the dimmer knob position OR you can use a simple variable resistor between the hot and ground sides of the 0-10V input.

The former technique allows a single dimmer control the deliver the same light setting with a given knob position regardless of the number of fixtures controlled by that knob.
A simple potentiometer/variable resistor, OTOH, will require a lower` overall resistance value for a given light level the greater the number of fixtures controlled.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Frequently LED fixtures seem to come standard with 0-10v dc dimming. I haven’t investigated, obviously, but what are the power requirements for these supplies? Could I use common dry cell batteries to supply this voltage? Is 0 volts full bright?

For a standard dimming ballast it should be 100% output at 10 volts.

0-10V Basics

The two 0-10V control types are current source(a theatrical dimming standard) and current sink (a dimming ballast standard).
There is an IEC standard for current sink controls - Standard 60929 Annex E. The
standard requires that the ballast (or driver) provides full light output when the control
voltage is 10 Volts (or above). As the control voltage is reduced by the control, the light
level is reduced. At a control voltage of 1 volt, the ballast (driver) provides it’s minimum
light level. Any voltage less than 1 volt is defined as minimum. Some drivers' minimum
is off, while other drivers' minimum is the lowest light level of the driver. It is important to
understand what minimum is for a particular driver. For drivers that do not go to off at

minimum, a separate relay or switching device is required.

http://www.lutron.com/en-us/education-training/documents/10v.pdf

gar

Occupation
EE
171118-1040 EST

ptonsparky:

Sure you can make it in your basement.

One important assumption is that the impedance from either 0-10 input lead to the light's AC power leads is very high. In other words the 0-10 V circuit is totally isolated from AC power.

GoldDigger outline the concept for you.

Simplest is just a variable resistor. This will not provide a linear relationship of dimming level with knob position. Possibly select a full scale variable resistor (rheostat, center and outer terminal of a pot) with a maximum resistance value such that when placed across the 0-10 V terminals the voltage is 9.5 V.

Next simplest way is with a battery and a potentiometer. This is power wasteful. Pick a pot with a total resistance such that when placed across the 0-10 V input the voltage reads 0.5 V. Connect the pot outer terminals across a 10 V battery or DC power supply. Use the pot center terminal and one outer terminal to provide an almost linear voltage output with respect to shaft position, assuming a linear pot. Correct polarity must be applied to the 0-10 input.

The third approach is to build an adjustable DC power supply. This could be a 12 V battery and a single chip regulator. If memory is correct an LM317 is such a device. Now many lights can be controlled simultaneously.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
171118-1040 EST

ptonsparky:

Sure you can make it in your basement.

One important assumption is that the impedance from either 0-10 input lead to the light's AC power leads is very high. In other words the 0-10 V circuit is totally isolated from AC power.

GoldDigger outline the concept for you.

Simplest is just a variable resistor. This will not provide a linear relationship of dimming level with knob position. Possibly select a full scale variable resistor (rheostat, center and outer terminal of a pot) with a maximum resistance value such that when placed across the 0-10 V terminals the voltage is 9.5 V.

Next simplest way is with a battery and a potentiometer. This is power wasteful. Pick a pot with a total resistance such that when placed across the 0-10 V input the voltage reads 0.5 V. Connect the pot outer terminals across a 10 V battery or DC power supply. Use the pot center terminal and one outer terminal to provide an almost linear voltage output with respect to shaft position, assuming a linear pot. Correct polarity must be applied to the 0-10 input.

The third approach is to build an adjustable DC power supply. This could be a 12 V battery and a single chip regulator. If memory is correct an LM317 is such a device. Now many lights can be controlled simultaneously.

I have a 0-10v analog out on a plc. Yes, I am clueless.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

most everything comes with 0-10 dimming anymore.
it's near impossible to make a california compliant installation without it.

take the 0-10 wires apart. fixture is full bright.
short the 0-10 wires together. fixture is full dim.

some luminaries seem to have a 0-10 volt set of dimming leads
on the ballast. lutron however, it might be their eco bus. digitally
adressable devices. can put 64 of them on a serial bus. wires coming
out of device are same gauge and coloring as 0-10. mixing them
with 0-10 volt lighting will cause much entertainment and profanity
as the system is attempted to be programmed.

if you have lutron fixtures, take one out of the box, stick the power
leads into an extension cord, so it lights up, and short the "0-10"
dimming leads togeather. if the light goes dim, it's 0-10.... if they
don't, it's eco. wire accordingly.

assuming the boxes the luminaries came in are correctly marked
should be done at your own peril. i've see two situations now
where boxes marked "0-10" contained eco drivers. the second time,
it was discovered at 1:15 in the morning, and took till 5 am to fix.

a fun time was had by all.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Doesn’t look like I can make one in my basement.

I'm not sure why you would want to? Normally you just buy a 0-10V dimmer (the fixture manufacturer usually has a list of compatible dimmers).

Then you just run the power for the fixture through the dimmer switch, and the dimmer switch creates the 0-10V signal for the dimming wires.

The dimmer may set you back about $70, but you'll have more time to watch the game (or the tornados.)

Status
Not open for further replies.