0-10volt dimming conductors in the same raceway as fixture power conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

Can I run in the same raceway the 0-10volt dimming conductors and the 120volt power conductors for lighting if I use conductors that have the same insulation ratings?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can I run in the same raceway the 0-10volt dimming conductors and the 120volt power conductors for lighting if I use conductors that have the same insulation ratings?

Only if the lighting control system allows you to reclassify their Class 2 system as Class 1 limited power and you use Chapter 3 wiring methods.

See 725.130 (A) [2014]

The reclassification can only be made if the signal processing circuitry in the luminaires does not require a Class 2 power supply for safety.
Look in detail at the manufacturer's literature.
Parts of the control circuit which do not share the raceway with power circuits will still be prohibited from using Class 2 wiring methods and rules.

JdoubleU

Class 1,2 and 3 circuits

Class 1,2 and 3 circuits

Does anyone have a quick explanation of how to identify each of these circuits? Example: what is a 0-10volt dimming circuit for LED light classified as?

Electric-Light

Only if the lighting control system allows you to reclassify their Class 2 system as Class 1 limited power and you use Chapter 3 wiring methods.

See 725.130 (A) [2014]

The reclassification can only be made if the signal processing circuitry in the luminaires does not require a Class 2 power supply for safety.
Look in detail at the manufacturer's literature.
Parts of the control circuit which do not share the raceway with power circuits will still be prohibited from using Class 2 wiring methods and rules.

? ? ?
The dimmer is bus powered. The current is sourced from the BALLAST. 0-10v bus is class 2 and it's isolated from the line side of ballast

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
? ? ?
The dimmer is bus powered. The current is sourced from the BALLAST.
In which case you still need to find out whether the dimmer connections are protected against harm from external voltages or need the protection of Class 2 wiring with isolation from other circuits.
Equipment which can be reclassified will state that if can use either Class 2 or Class 2 wiring, or similar wording.

Electric-Light

In which case you still need to find out whether the dimmer connections are protected against harm from external voltages or need the protection of Class 2 wiring with isolation from other circuits.
Equipment which can be reclassified will state that if can use either Class 2 or Class 2 wiring, or similar wording.

So, what power supply are you referrig to?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
In your example, I guess the one built into the ballast. There should be a Class 2 label on it somewhere relative to the control wires. Otherwise you cannot use Class2 wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.