08' 410.16(c)(5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Greg I am missing what you are looking for. It states surface fluorescents or LED luminaires. Is it the identified for use that has you thinking? Heck I use strip lights all the time in closets but who knows if they are identified for use-- never checked.

dcspector

Greg I am missing what you are looking for. It states surface fluorescents or LED luminaires. Is it the identified for use that has you thinking? Heck I use strip lights all the time in closets but who knows if they are identified for use-- never checked.

Dennis I may have mis understood this. I thought the section was allowing these above the shelf area.

480sparky

First, let's post the Code section:

410.16 Luminaires in Clothes Closets.
(C) Location. The minimum clearance between luminaires installed in clothes closets and the nearest point of a storage space shall be as follows:
(5) Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires shall be permitted to be installed within the storage space where identified for this use

SEO

Dennis I think that the code change relates to LED and fluorescent luminaires that are listed to be installed in the storage space where identified for this use. Storage space is the key.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis I may have mis understood this. I thought the section was allowing these above the shelf area.

Actually you are correct since it says within the storage space. I never realized that but have not seen any listed for that purpose. Who would want a light over the shelf anyway?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
410.16(C) outlines the distances different fixtures must be mounted from the closet storage space defined in 410.2. Listed fixtures can be installed within that defined storage space if they identified for use within the storage space. So an LED fixture, identified for use within a closet storage space can be installed just about anywhere without restriction.

iwire

Staff member
Actually you are correct since it says within the storage space. I never realized that but have not seen any listed for that purpose.

Just a guess that the manufacturers got this change in before they went nuts producing a product for it.

Now with the change in place they are free to make new products.

Who would want a light over the shelf anyway

How about some nice LEDs under the shelf or even in the hanger rod to light up the clothes under the top shelf?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
For me a fluorescent over the door does just fine although I am sure there are some situations where it may be useful.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How about some nice LEDs under the shelf or even in the hanger rod to light up the clothes under the top shelf?

Although this one happens to be battery operated you can get the idea of what it would look like.

hmv_news_liteinside_560px.jpg

iwire

Staff member
For me a fluorescent over the door does just fine although I am sure there are some situations where it may be useful.

LOL :grin:. for me I am happy with the light spilling in from the room but I am not a designer and you know how much work those designers can make for us. :smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Question is does that mean it can go in the defined closet space?

That is my question. The fact that it mentions it meets NEC requirements for closets seems to mean that it does meet it for the define storage space. Where else is there a requirement for fluorescent lights in closets to be nec compliant for closets.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That is my question. The fact that it mentions it meets NEC requirements for closets seems to mean that it does meet it for the define storage space. Where else is there a requirement for fluorescent lights in closets to be nec compliant for closets.

I'm thinking that it would be since a fluorescent fixture inside of a closet does not require an enclosed lamp.

Volta

I just called them. "Art" says they do not consider it "identified for this use" within a storage space. They only mean it was designed for a closet, you know, it has a pullchain. :roll:

Too bad, cause if the closet isn't over 36" wide, we still can't seem to light it.

If anybody finds one that is suitable, please post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.