1.0 kva controltransformer blowing secondary fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewilliams63

New User
Occupation
Hvac tech
I have a 1.0 kva control transformer. The secondary common is grounded from the factory. Secondary voltage is 120. Periodically, I've had my control fuse blowing. It's a 15 Amp/250 volt fuse (factory sizing) Upon my arrival to the machine, I immediately unhooked my secondary ground because I needed to check for any shorts or grounds and I didn't want to read thru my transformer and get a false reading. I determined that I did not have any grounds or shorts so I replaced the fuse and applied power. My unit started and all looked great at 2.9 amps. I went to reattach my ground and immediately blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse again, I unhooked my ground and started my machine ....I checked the voltage from hot to ground and had 0 vac while the common side (ungrounded still) has 120 vac...how is this possible? Thanks.

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
How did you 'determine that you did not have any grounds of shorts'? It sure sounds like you have an existing ground fault somewhere in your unit, and adding the ground connection at the transformer completes the circuit and blows the fuse. Also explains why you have no voltage difference between hot and ground while running.

retirede

If the fuse is blown or removed, you won’t read to ground through the transformer. There was no reason to lift the ground.
I agree with Dan, you have a ground fault, perhaps intermittent, only occurring when something gets energized.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I had a similar issue and installed a larger fuse. The cause was a failing solenoid coil, with the larger fuse the coil shorted out
That's the smoke test, correct ??
Increase fuse size until smoke leaks out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.