1/2 ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

haleyjo1

How can I find out if my 1/2 inch /8' ground rods are acceptable?The inspector here said I cant use them.Is there a web site or a book were they can be cross refrenced.I can show him they are ERITECH brand but there web site was no help.

JohnJ0906

Barring a local amendment, of course.

Might be worth a phone call to him, pointing out the article. Might be an honest mistake. I'm not sure I've ever seen a stainless rod, myself.

JohnJ0906

haleyjo1 said:
This guy wants proof. I cant find any.He is a new guy and hard headed as hell.We have a entire skid of these.

You have proof. 2005 National Electric Code.

Barring a local amendment, he must accept them.

Has the NEC been formally adopted in your area?

Grounding rod size

Grounding rod size

The only time I have heard reasoning for the different diameters of ground rod was when the desired driven depth required greater force to be applied when driving the rod or in rocky soil. The thicker rod would have less of a chance of bending. There is no "electrical" reason for diffrent diameters.

The main problem with many inspectors - those present excluded - that they are like the pharasees reading the Book. The understand not but can follow the letter.

LJSMITH1

If the actual rod does not have a UL or other indicator 'bug' embossed or tagged on it (i.e. ETL, CSA, etc.), then they are not listed. Any listed product MUST be marked as such.

That is the easiest way to determine listing. If they have it on them, you need to show your inspector, because maybe he missed it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
A ground rod is not required to be listed or labeled. The AHJ may accept anything he wants per 110.3(A). 110.3(B) simply says that if it is listed then it must be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing and labeling.

And before anyone throws 110.2 out read the definition of approved.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Ground Rods

Ground Rods

Ground Rods are installed to provide a path between the Electrical Service and the Utility's power pole when the Service Lateral Neutral is interrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.