1 GB/sec speeds on CAT5 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
My brother in law asked me a question that I could not answer.

I am not a computer network expert and he asked me if you could get 1 gigabit transfer speeds using a CAT 5 cable or if you can only get that speed from using a CAT 6 cable.

Chris

dbuckley

A gigabyte per sec is impossible in my mind.
Yeah, its gigbit ethernet, so, best case about 100 megabytes per second.

We do have 10 gig, over fibre, and that can shift a gigabyte a second for real, but it's unlikely there are many devices out there that can sustain or even reach that trhoughput, though many aggregated devices can reach that in total.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Chris, whether there is a problem reading your gigabit or is they are picking at your abbreviation ... who knows.

BUT, b is bit, B is byte in most terminology ... like m for milli, M for mega ...

MisterCMK

My brother in law asked me a question that I could not answer.

I am not a computer network expert and he asked me if you could get 1 gigabit transfer speeds using a CAT 5 cable or if you can only get that speed from using a CAT 6 cable.

Chris

Yes, Gigabit is certainly possible with Cat5e

Electric-Light

Doesn't the distance play a role too? You can "overclock" the cable beyond the rated specs, but how far you can go reliably probably varies. Back when I had an older Mac with SCSI with Ultra SCSI, I do remember it was real picky about cable quality. You had to have a real good cable to push 20MB/s on 8 bit.

esobocinski

Yes, exactly. I would expect Cat5 to do 1 Gbps most of the time on runs that aren't horribly long, but I wouldn't guarantee it. I would even expect it to handle 10 Gbps over short distances: We use old Cat5 patch (15' or less) in the lab for 10 Gbps all the time, but I wouldn't settle for less than Cat6 for 10 Gbps in production service.

Status
Not open for further replies.