1-leg of 15kV primary > 120/240V secondary xfmr question

Status
Not open for further replies.

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
The EE has drawn a single-leg of a 15kV 3-phase loop (let's call this utilized leg A-phase for sake of conversation) feeding a step-down delta:wye transformer. This secondary side of this transformer is a 120/240V 1-phase service. Can someone school me up on 1) how this is possible and 2) why they wouldn't drag 2-legs (say A & B phases) to this transformer? Thanks

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
it is in 1-line form, yes, but the information conveyed on plan indicates 2-sets of [1#4/0, 4"C]... maybe I'm interpreting this poorly...
Im thinking the EE may have either drawn or notated this incorrectly and this is really just 1-set of [2#4/0, 4"C] tapping the loop's A&B phase.
I'm going to add reduced size 1-line for a 2nd opinion
Is there even a scenario where you could use a single leg?

1677796062627.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Likely a MV Cable with a concentric neutral.
Same principle as you deriving a 277v single phase circuit from a 480/2787 3 phase system.

The EE has drawn a single-leg of a 15kV 3-phase loop (let's call this utilized leg A-phase for sake of conversation) feeding a step-down delta:wye transformer. This secondary side of this transformer is a 120/240V 1-phase service. Can someone school me up on 1) how this is possible and 2) why they wouldn't drag 2-legs (say A & B phases) to this transformer? Thanks
Likely a multi grounded neutral system, where single phase loads are typically connected line to grounded neutral. The concentric neutral on the cable carries the grounded conductor. Just curious why are there two cables connected in parallel? Is this very very long? I didn't do the math on how far you can run 7200 volts on a 4/0, but it's got to be dozens of miles .

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Likely a multi grounded neutral system, where single phase loads are typically connected line to grounded neutral. The concentric neutral on the cable carries the grounded conductor. Just curious why are there two cables connected in parallel? Is this very very long? I didn't do the math on how far you can run 7200 volts on a 4/0, but it's got to be dozens of miles .
The two cables are not in parallel. They terminate in a line selector switch on the transformer, so they are likely for redundancy/backup.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, the 15kV conductor call out says concentric neutral. The transformer call out says 7200 volts which is the line to neutral voltage of a 12,470 volt wye system.

The wye and delta symbols at the transformer are not correct because it is a single phase transformer.

The wye and delta symbols at the transformer are not correct because it is a single phase transformer.
If anything, the primary could be called a wye, because it is intended to be fed from a wye system, and the standard call out for the primary would be "1247GY/2400" per IEEE standards. In field jargon, a transformer with two bushings on the primary is sometimes called a "delta", because it's fed from a Delta system (usually).

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I still see delta and wye as only applying to 3 phase equipment.
Utilities tend to follow their own industry slang and standards rather than what electricians use.
Things like:
Not using the ANSI convention of listing HV first for three phase voltage and LV first for single phase.
Identifying equipment by the system it will be connected to, like in this thread.
Using Red, White, and Blue for phasing colors.
Not understanding the differences between grounding for their MV versus grounding per NEC.

Utilities tend to follow their own industry slang and standards rather than what electricians use.
Things like:
Not using the ANSI convention of listing HV first for three phase voltage and LV first for single phase.
Identifying equipment by the system it will be connected to, like in this thread.
Using Red, White, and Blue for phasing colors.
Not understanding the differences between grounding for their MV versus grounding per NEC.
Agree, but IEEE Std C57.12.00-2015 in my experience is pretty much universally used, even for "utility transformers", and some of these have "wye" on the data plate (document attached).

Regarding the transformer in post number 9, note that is not a standard description and is more of a field/utility jargon. Having two bushings, it is intended to be fed off a Delta system. Solomon is a transformer refurbisher not a manufacturer and they replace the data plate when they refurbish a unit.

Attachments

• Transformer scematics (2).pdf
    296.2 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.