1 service feeding 2- 200 amp panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

codythesparky

Occupation
Electrician
I am needing to install a residential service from one meter base that feeds 2 separate 200amp panels. Is it permissible to run 2 separate feeders from the meter base without first installing overcurrent protection at the meter base? And if so, do I need to size each feeder for each 200amp panel, or would I need to size both sets for the the total load of both 200amp panels?

I am needing to install a residential service from one meter base that feeds 2 separate 200amp panels. Is it permissible to run 2 separate feeders from the meter base without first installing overcurrent protection at the meter base? And if so, do I need to size each feeder for each 200amp panel, or would I need to size both sets for the the total load of both 200amp panels?
Where are the two panels going to be located? If one is to serve an outbuilding see 230.40 exception number 3. Also what code are you on? As that would affect whether you need the outside disconnect or not.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
it seems likely that these are not "feeders" but rather two sets of service conductors.

codythesparky

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, we are talking about service conductors and not feeders. Thanks for catching that.

The AHJ uses the 2020 code. Both panels will be located inside the house right next to each other.
It seems like 230.40 exception #3 wouldn't allow 2 sets of service conductors to the dwelling unit alone. It would only allow 2 sets if one also serves an accessory structure. At least thats how I interpret that.

It seems like 230.2 allows for 2 sets of service conductors to the dwelling IF they are 1/0 or larger. And I don't see anything saying that an OCPD is required for the service conductors. Does this sounds accurate?

Thank ya'll for responding!

Yes, we are talking about service conductors and not feeders. Thanks for catching that.

The AHJ uses the 2020 code. Both panels will be located inside the house right next to each other.
It seems like 230.40 exception #3 wouldn't allow 2 sets of service conductors to the dwelling unit alone. It would only allow 2 sets if one also serves an accessory structure. At least thats how I interpret that.

It seems like 230.2 allows for 2 sets of service conductors to the dwelling IF they are 1/0 or larger. And I don't see anything saying that an OCPD is required for the service conductors. Does this sounds accurate?

Thank ya'll for responding!
Yes generally you can have 2 to 6 service disconnects, in separate enclosures, each fed with their own service conductors. They generally would need to be grouped in one location. There is no length restriction on the service conductors after the meter as long as you are outside. Note per 2020 code you need an external emergency disconnect. Also note class 320 sockets are just about impossible to get you would probably need to put a box after the meter to split your conductors out.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
230.2 restricts the number of services to a building not the number of service entrance conductors allowed to be connected to that one sevice

kwired

Electron manager
230.2 restricts the number of services to a building not the number of service entrance conductors allowed to be connected to that one sevice
To further expand on this, OP has one service. He is allowed to split it up to six disconnecting means. Then for dwellings in 2020 NEC came the emergency disconnect rule, but said disconnect does not necessarily have to be the "service disconnect", though often times it ends up serving both purposes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are using the 2020 nec then you are not compliant

230.85 Emergency Disconnects.
For one- and two-family dwelling units, all service conductors shall terminate in disconnecting means having a short-circuit current rating equal to or greater than the available fault current, installed in a readily accessible outdoor location. If more than one disconnect is provided, they shall be grouped. Each disconnect shall be one of the following:

Yes you are correct exception 3 does not help you here, one of the sets must feed a separate structure. I just mentioned it because your OP wasn't very detailed, and sometimes that's what people want to do with that second 200 amp set is feed a separate structure.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes you are correct exception 3 does not help you here, one of the sets must feed a separate structure. I just mentioned it because your OP wasn't very detailed, and sometimes that's what people want to do with that second 200 amp set is feed a separate structure.
but exception 2 does allow the 2-6 service disconnecting means grouped at one location.

What exception 3 allows is to split from the service drop or lateral and go to a dwelling and an accessory building without first hitting a common service disconnect, resulting in a service disconnecting means at each building.

but exception 2 does allow the 2-6 service disconnecting means grouped at one location.

What exception 3 allows is to split from the service drop or lateral and go to a dwelling and an accessory building without first hitting a common service disconnect, resulting in a service disconnecting means at each building.
Correct. My thinking was he was trying to avoid mounting service disconnects and keep them service conductors. Just wanted to make sure he was aware of exception 3 if one set was feeding a detached structure. But yes exception two is what he is looking at for the same structure.

kwired

Electron manager
Correct. My thinking was he was trying to avoid mounting service disconnects and keep them service conductors. Just wanted to make sure he was aware of exception 3 if one set was feeding a detached structure. But yes exception two is what he is looking at for the same structure.
But since he said 2020 NEC applies he does need an emergency disconnect as well, and in most cases is simplest to make it the service disconnect as well.

Outside of supply chain issues, probably simplest for him to use an assembly that has the meter and two 200 amp breakers in it. I think there is a redesigned version of those that complies with 2020 code as well, though may not be so easy to obtain right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.