10 guage 40 amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: 10 guage 40 amp?

Saiprem, yes, but is it code compliant, it depends on what this is serving.

If you are only talking 8' why couldn't you just run #8? the cost difference would be pennies.

Roger

bphgravity

If this is a motor load, it may require the higher breaker for starting inrush. Still best to run the #8's though.

saiprem

Thank you for your replies. I had to replace a burned out antiquated Federal Pacific 40 amp breaker, with a CH 40 amp breaker on another box 8 feet away. For the time being I ran 8 feet of 10 guage wire to connect it to the old 8 guage wire. I know it draws more than 30 amps, but I thought a very short length like that could handle it. Any more feedback?

hurk27

If this wire is being used to feed a resistance load like a heating elements. it would be wise to monitor the wire to see if there is any heating and change it A.S.A.P.
If this is a continuous load then I would install the right wire.

mkbuck

Read 240.4(D)

The overcurrent protection shall not exceed 30 amperes for a 10 AWG conductor, unless covered by the conditions described in 240.4(E),(F) or (G).

This does not seem to be the case here.

I would install an 8 AWG A.S.A.P.

iwire

Staff member

It worries me that a wire that apparently needed replacement due to overheating was replaced with a smaller wire, I would get a #8 in as soon as possible.

Originally posted by mkbuck:
Read 240.4(D)

The overcurrent protection shall not exceed 30 amperes for a 10 AWG conductor, unless covered by the conditions described in 240.4(E),(F) or (G).
Do not forget as BPH pointed out motor loads may have much larger breakers then the rating of the conductors feeding them.

For motor loads it is possible to have #12 on a 60 amp breaker and still be code compliant.

Refer to 430.52 and the rest of Part IV of 430, also parts of 440

saiprem

Thank you. I am now connecting the 40 amp breaker to the 8 guage wire with two 10 guage wires. That oughta do it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

You are not permitted to parallel #10 wires, the smallest that you can parallel pre 310.4 is 1/0.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.