100 amp 240 volt main breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

I just changed out a main panel in a residential home. The panel is a 200 amp main lug panel that I am feeding with A 100 amp breaker kit inside. I installed the 240 volt breaker and landed the conductors. I went back a week later to add a few more branch circuits. After I did that I tighten all my connections and move the wires to double-check. On that main breaker when I moved one of the conductors the whole breaker would move but when I moved the other conductor just the lug would move. Is this a bad breaker? It's new so it might be bad from factory.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Some breakers have some movement. Do the lights flicker when you move the breaker? If so, you have a problem. One other thing, since this is a main panel then the back fed breaker must be fastened to the panel. These can be purchased from the supply house and are called main breaker tie down kits or something of the sort.

The movement I would be concerned about is at the buss bar connection.

brian john

Do as Dennis said and perform an FOP utilizing alligator clips with your meter (and even better if you have a min max meter) to leave your hands free to wriggle the CB.

BE CAREFUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.