100 amp house panel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaatraker

Recently I bought a 100 yr old house in Floyd County Va. It has a 100A /240V main breaker panel that is wired on the branch circuits with copper wire, the wire size and breaker sizes are not correct so I'm fixing those. The problem I have is the feed from the main outside is an XHHW-2 AL cable, the two insulated conductors going to the main breaker and the sheild wire that incloses the conductors wound into a uninsulated wire and run to the neut. buss bar. A seperate #8 ground wire run to the neut buss and the buss is bonded to the panel. Please correct me if I'm wrong, the neut conductor should be a covered conductor and the shield wire should be used as a gound conductor, the wire size is to small for a 100 A service. The feed runs under the house so a cable would be best to replace it.

What would be the correct type and size of cable to use.

Thanks so much for helping!
PS: Moved here from WA. State and will be taking the VA masters test within the next year.
Kurt

iwire

Staff member
Then the wrong cable is in place, to be code compliant the SE-U should be replaced with SE-R consisting of 2 insulated hots, 1 insulated neutral and a bare ground.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Then the wrong cable is in place, to be code compliant the SE-U should be replaced with SE-R consisting of 2 insulated hots, 1 insulated neutral and a bare ground.
. . . and a separate gounding bar installed; the #8, any other GEC's, and the circuit EGC's moved to that bar; the panel bond removed; and ideally, any appliance feeds with 3-wire cables repaced with 4-wire cables, receptacles, and plugs (where used.)

aaatraker

if I understand you correctly, the house panel is really a sub panel because of the main breaker panel at the meter and the neut is not bonded in the sub and the grounds should not be on the neut buss.

kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.