100 AMP Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy-Miser

Ok, I have 100 amp service available from the utiliy, and this panel with a 200 amp rated busbar and 100 amp main breaker on it. Can I install it? What article of the code am I violating if I do? E/M.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
200 amp panel with 100 amp main is fine as long as the CB and the panel are listed to go together.

Energy-Miser

There is no concern on the part of the inspector, or on the part of the POCO that someone in the future might replace the 100 amp main with a 200 amp main? Remember the service entrance conductor is still rated at 100 amps.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as a general rule POCO could care less and inspectors inspect "as is" and not "what if"

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
as a general rule POCO could care less and inspectors inspect "as is" and not "what if"
Certain POCO's do not allow you to install a 200 amp rated main buss /panel when you have only a 100 amp drop/lateral. I suppose this will change with solar/PV. Socal Edison is one.

Energy-Miser

Certain POCO's do not allow you to install a 200 amp rated main buss /panel when you have only a 100 amp drop/lateral. I suppose this will change with solar/PV. Socal Edison is one.

I thought that might be the case. If they allowed it, it will really help increase solar generation capacity, without having to resort to service upgrade, as you can generate 120% of busbar ampacity minus the size of the main breaker. In this case of course we will need to cap solar generation at 100 amps, but it is still much better than 20 amps. The problem is getting a straight answer out of the local utilities!

ty

We can test fly it, and see if it passes inspection. You'r sure NEC allows this???

yes it does.

We are talking RESIDENTIAL, aren't we?

I do have to ask, did you go to PV school? And if so, where?

I'm just wondering because i figured it to be standard instruction as to how to combat the issues of overloading a busbar and the different solutions.

Have you seen the New CH plug on neutral loadcenters?
The 200amp comes with higher rated busbar specifically for PV use.

You know about a line side tap?

Energy-Miser

yes it does.

We are talking RESIDENTIAL, aren't we?

I do have to ask, did you go to PV school? And if so, where?

I'm just wondering because i figured it to be standard instruction as to how to combat the issues of overloading a busbar and the different solutions.

Have you seen the New CH plug on neutral loadcenters?
The 200amp comes with higher rated busbar specifically for PV use.

You know about a line side tap?

Thanks for the lesson. I was looking for a more civil discussion. No one specifically solicited your response. E/M.

RETRAINDAILY

IMO putting a 200 amp panel on 100 amp breaker is above and Bond how can you ague that. even if you you load it till the breaker blows.
that is what is for.
What if the roof fell in?

ty

Thanks for the lesson. I was looking for a more civil discussion. No one specifically solicited your response. E/M.

LOL! What?
civil discussion on this forum?

Noone needed to Specifically solicit a response.
You keep asking questions.
You want help or not?

Where in Maryland are you?
Do you have a Maryland License?
What Counties do you work in?

Status
Not open for further replies.