100 amp sub panel minimum size Aluminum Romex/SER wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
To determine whether it ios 60C or 75C depends on which code cycle you are under and what are the conditions of the run

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I've used 2-2-2-4 SER from HD that says right on the spool 100a rated. If the rating is posted, why not use it?

It may be rated 100 amps under certain conditions but I am appalled that a manufacturer would write that on the jacket. You are still obligated to use the NEC not just what the jacket states on the cable

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is a lot of wire that has ratings for ampacity that far exceed what the national electrical code allows. If you look close at the ratings it never says anything about it being an NEC rating. I have used some Teflon insulated wire that I think is 20 gauge and it has a rating of 22 amps if I recall correctly. Stuff probably gets downright warm if you actually use it that way.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There is a lot of wire that has ratings for ampacity that far exceed what the national electrical code allows. If you look close at the ratings it never says anything about it being an NEC rating. I have used some Teflon insulated wire that I think is 20 gauge and it has a rating of 22 amps if I recall correctly. Stuff probably gets downright warm if you actually use it that way.
Possibly it is a very high temp fixture wire type? That could have a very high NEC ampacity as long as the terminations are OK.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

nizak

We have several inspectors in our area who accept #2/2/2/4 Al protected at 100 amps regardless of insulation conditions for sub feeds in dwellings.

I even had one question me once when I used 1/0 Al for a long run that went through an insulated basement area as well as an attic space with cellulose insulation.

Apparently there haven't been any(enough) fires caused by the improper installation to bring attention to the the fact that it's severely undersized when it's installed .

It's by no means justification, but how many residential sub feeds really draw 100 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.