100% Injury rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

I was watching a show last night on Discovery Dangerous Jobs or something like that. This tree surgeon (durn talk about talking a job up). stated that in his profession there is a 100% injury rate. That sooner or later you would fall, cut your self, get hit by a limb, ect....

I was thinking in the trades in general there is a 100% injury rate.

Myself I have a few Boo Boos. Is there anyone that works in the field that has not been hurt. Stitches, step on a nail, broken bone, Oh or shocked?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would be shocked just to hear if there was an electrician on this planet who has not been jolted before.

Never a broken bone or stitches but I have step on nails lightly scratched my cornea with a piece of wire and gotten a few bo-bo's here and there. Now that I am bald I get more nail scratches on my head from roofing nails when crawling in a tight attic.

celtic

brian john said:
Is there anyone that works in the field that has not been hurt. Stitches, step on a nail, broken bone, Oh or shocked?

So far so good ....this year ....scratch that, got rapped in the early spring this year.

davidr43229

In our industry over 600 people die a year as recorded by the BWC (Bureau of Workmans Comp) and over 12,000 people are admitted to burn centers each year in Industrial & Commercial Accidents and in 1 year costs Industry in excess of $121,000,000.00
Just my $.02

cowboyjwc

Staff member
At one time linemen worked 12 hours a day, seven days a week in all kinds of weather for 15 to 20 cents and hour and one out of every two hired would perish.

And the Discovery Channel says that crab fishing is dangerous.

dbuckley

To be fair, those crab fishers are nutters, and do die a lot, whereas linemen working on MV and HV live is now routine, and these guys go home to their families every night. It does scare the pants off me watching them manhandling those cables with thousands of volts on them, all just waiting for the worker to make an error...

Mind you, we had a ferret make the news a couple of weeks ago, managed to get itself between a couple of MV phases, and according to eye witnesses, "exploded", taking out the power to a village in the process.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
It's nice to know that we don't have a memorial built to know that we are going to have people die each season, in the course of normal working conditions.

I worked for about a year out at the end of the chain in 93/94(Shemya, Alaska), and only had three good days where the sun actually shined (even took time off for the good weather). Failed to mention we were quite a ways south of where the weather gets really ugly.

Whatever they want for crab, is cheap, when you see the whole story of how they got to your table.

Edit - Spelling and sentence structure correction

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.