100 to 600AMP buildings services 240/120 single phase and 208/120 3 phase could be fed from a single utility pole mounted transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Typically, and correct me if I'm wrong. 100 to 600AMP buildings services 240/120 single phase and 208/120 3 phase could be fed from a single utility pole mounted transformer. And anything above that you would need typically a pad mounted transformer. Is that generally correct? Thank you

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, sorta correct. 208/120 3ph requires three pole-mounts.

I'm not sure about each company's thresholds. 1ph and 3ph may have different levels.

kwired

Electron manager
It comes down to whether or not a POCO wishes to mount unit(s) over certain weight on certain sized poles and/or wish to do additional construction to handle larger sized units, like a platform on multiple poles or something of that nature vs using a pad mount unit or even using open units within some enclosure at grade level.

Rural POCO here typically will not hang over 3 50 kVA units on a pole for three phase banks, or over a single 100 kVA unit on a pole for a single phase supply. Have seen some three phase in single units, but most are older and get replaced with a bank of three units if needing replaced.

synchro

Occupation
EE
The manufacturer at the link below offers pole mounted transformers up to 1000 kVa single phase and 500 kVA 3-phase. Their 3-phase units are either "triplex" with three individual single phase transformers inside, or with two single phase T-connected transformers inside. As mentioned above, the POCO may impose significantly lower limits on the kVA of pole mounted units than what's available.

https://powerpartners-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/transformer_brochure.pdf

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It comes down to whether or not a POCO wishes to mount unit(s) over certain weight on certain sized poles and/or wish to do additional construction to handle larger sized units, like a platform on multiple poles or something of that nature vs using a pad mount unit or even using open units within some enclosure at grade level.

Rural POCO here typically will not hang over 3 50 kVA units on a pole for three phase banks, or over a single 100 kVA unit on a pole for a single phase supply. Have seen some three phase in single units, but most are older and get replaced with a bank of three units if needing replaced
Oh okay, did not know that. I learned something new today. Thank you!!

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The manufacturer at the link below offers pole mounted transformers up to 1000 kVa single phase and 500 kVA 3-phase. Their 3-phase units are either "triplex" with three individual single phase transformers inside, or with two single phase T-connected transformers inside. As mentioned above, the POCO may impose significantly lower limits on the kVA of pole mounted units than what's available.

https://powerpartners-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/transformer_brochure.pdf

Thank you! great information source.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not sure whether you were implying this in your original post, but if you have three phase 208Y/120 from three transformers or a single three-core transformer, you will not be able to also get 120/240 from that same bank.
The only common provision of both three phase and double-ended single phase would be a high leg delta.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Not sure whether you were implying this in your original post, but if you have three phase 208Y/120 from three transformers or a single three-core transformer, you will not be able to also get 120/240 from that same bank.
The only common provision of both three phase and double-ended single phase would be a high leg delta.

No, i meant different banks. Sorry i wasn't very clear in my post. Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.