1001sf MEETING ROOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhanson

Occupation
General Journeyman Electrician
Good Morning All, This may seem a silly question, but I'm currently enrolled in an NEC electrical inspection course and I'm having trouble rationalizing to myself the 1000 sf limitation of a meeting room.
Is this to say that a meeting room of 1001sf or more is exempt from the need of receptacle outlets.?, and if so, why?
Thank You everyone

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Good Morning All, This may seem a silly question, but I'm currently enrolled in an NEC electrical inspection course and I'm having trouble rationalizing to myself the 1000 sf limitation of a meeting room.
Is this to say that a meeting room of 1001sf or more is exempt from the need of receptacle outlets.?, and if so, why?
Thank You everyone

I think they are suggesting it is no longer a meeting room if it gets bigger than 1000 SF.

mhanson

Occupation
"I think they are suggesting it is no longer a meeting room if it gets bigger than 1000 SF."

I guess that's a reasonable assumption,
I don't believe the definition of a meeting includes square footage. Or by default, is it reasonable to include square footage in the description?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
"I think they are suggesting it is no longer a meeting room if it gets bigger than 1000 SF."

I guess that's a reasonable assumption,
I don't believe the definition of a meeting includes square footage. Or by default, is it reasonable to include square footage in the description?

I don't think the NEC has a definition of "meeting room". However, it would appear that a "meeting room" would be covered by article 518 if it was large enough for 100 or more people, and 1000 SF is about where you could see 100 people might well fit. I don't see how you could make the requirements of 210.71 work in larger meeting areas anyway.

mhanson

Occupation
"I don't think the NEC has a definition of "meeting room". However, it would appear that a "meeting room" would be covered by article 518 if it was large enough for 100 or more people, and 1000 SF is about where you could see 100 people might well fit. I don't see how you could make the requirements of 210.71 work in larger meeting areas anyway."

clarification is given below the section in. informational notes. And as I see it, the biggerr the room the bigger the need for wall and floor receptacles. I've been to several training seminars, there's always extension cords running everywhere for laptops. It seems odd that the NEC eliminates the need for recptacle outlets If the room exceeds 1000sf.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
If a room is divisible, with a pull-out wall, and each portion (with the walls in place) is now less than 1000 sq.ft., do they now magically have to have outlets?

mhanson

Occupation
If a room is divisible, with a pull-out wall, and each portion (with the walls in place) is now less than 1000 sq.ft., do they now magically have to have outlets?

Well, according to 210.71, YES, these are all treated add individual spaces.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It seems to me this should be a design decision and not a code issue.

A classroom is a meeting room. Do you really need receptacles in the floor in a first grade class room?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College

A classroom is a meeting room. Do you really need receptacles in the floor in a first grade class room?

What if they re-arrange the school and this now becomes a 6th grade room-- and all the kids want to plug in their laptops?

I think any mid-floor outlet must be a 'pit' type-- open the lid and the outlet is there, close to vertical, to keep the dust out. The flat type, with a screw-in lid to close it when not in use, ought to be banned! IMHO.

mhanson

Occupation

Informational note 2 excludes school rooms, but I agree whith paulmmn as electronics have become commonplace in classrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.