1099 for 10. an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
HaskinsElectric said:
Ramsy seems like a square guy who's learning how this business works. .. what Ramsy is going through is known by all of us as "paying your dues". It's a rite of passage.

Roger That. I gladly pay those dues, to eventual have an equitable livelihood that can afford property in California.

I might have made a legit living if there was steady work. Not enough friends of the family are demanding my services as tenants in commercial properties; property owners are not easily accessible with cold canvasing, and when your not being reported to the CSLB police by other Craigslist.com members, if there is a genuine Craigslist market for "Trade Services" they must not be impressed by JW's trying to transition to contracting, "Under $500".

Doing the math has forced being open to other options. None of the local newspapers using MonsterJobs.com ads for W2 electricians, here in the Los Angeles basin, have responded to me during the month of September-2007. It was my local employment development database CALJOBS, which listed the only local EC that provided a direct phone number. This C-10 has a niche in the commercial sector, exterior and holiday lighting service for properties and associations.

The EC had a NEC code test prepared, fairly offered $18 per hour for me & my svc truck, with a flat $0.34 cents per mile. This rate is closely in line with all other California offerings for State Certified JW's at this time, including the jerks on Monster that have always baited & harvest personal information from my resumes. See link below:
http://www.electrical-contractor.ne...wflat/Number/159547/page/3/fpart/1#Post159553

This C-10 claims no problem with my CSLB voucher; wants me to stay longer than a year, but understands I don't intend to quit my day job without a plan, and will never afford property as a W2.

emahler

i still call train wreck...

why don't you get your C-10?

why don't you aim higher? you should be able to get over $20/hr working for someone else, using their service truck.

why don't you put your time in working for a legitimate C-10 contractor, until you have the time in to sit for your own?

regardless of what haskinselectric says about paying your dues, etc, you are going about it the completely wrong way. nothing good will come out of this direction you are heading. you will spend the next few years getting beat up and **** on by your "customers".....you will live hand to mouth till then...then you will finally have enough and take a job working for another EC...but by then you will have spent your prime earning and learning years chasing nickels and getting bitter.

take a job with a reputable C-10..earn a good salary...learn how to run a business (pricing, estimating, project management, etc)...get your C-10...then go out on you own...

but if you do continue on the path you are on, please post updates...these are sienfeld-esque and brilliant..

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Thanks to all for letting me Lay out my laundry. I'm glad to get any information I can, and have no problem trying the advise above.

kbsparky

ramsy said:
...."Under $500"....

You have quite a loophole to operate with there. No such thing allowed around here, however. The laws are quite specific about those who hold themselves out to the public to perform electrical work must be licensed, regardless of the cost of the work. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.