10hp Single Phase Motor circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

breevus

I have a question that I have been unable to locate the answer in the NEC. I have a 10hp 240V, 42 FLA motor that I am re-working a previous electricians installation due to voltage drop problems with too small of wire and pieces of conduit in the 60A disconnect at the main panelboard (yikes) because at startup the motor kept blowing the 60A fuses. I am coming off the main panelboard (Sq D QMB with fusible disconnects) with a 100A disconnect with 75A fuses (175% of FLA for the startup current) using number 6 THHN feeding a non fusible disconnect next to the motor control panel and another disconnect outside at the motor. My question is the non fusible disconnects are 60 amp and hp rated for 10 hp, because I have fused this at 75A for the inrush current will the disconnects need to be rated at 100A also? Any and all help is greatly accepted and appreciated.
Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
According to table 430.248 your calculations would require you to use 50 amps as the FLC of this motor. Not sure if that would change any of your calculations.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMHO, 430.110 would allow the 10 HP rated disconnect.

opps Chris already answered.

breevus

That is what I thought, but I did not spend any time looking it up. 430.110 covers it to a T. Thanks for your combined help.

stew

I believe your disconnect must be rated at 80% of flc. hence a 60 amp disc. is only good for 48 amps. Using the tables in the nec infinity is right you have a 50 amp load so you are 2 amps over the 80% rating I believe.I think you need a 100 amp disc. Also i think you can only fuse the disconnect up to the rating of the disconnect anyway so 75 amps exceeds that. Sorry dont have my code book to cite references. maybe someone else can.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I believe your disconnect must be rated at 80% of flc. hence a 60 amp disc. is only good for 48 amps. Using the tables in the nec infinity is right you have a 50 amp load so you are 2 amps over the 80% rating I believe.I think you need a 100 amp disc. Also i think you can only fuse the disconnect up to the rating of the disconnect anyway so 75 amps exceeds that. Sorry dont have my code book to cite references. maybe someone else can.

Here's the section that Chris and Augie mentioned:

430.110 Ampere Rating and Interrupting Capacity.
(A) General. The disconnecting means for motor circuits rated 600 volts, nominal, or less shall have an ampere rating not less than 115 percent of the full-load current rating of the motor.
Exception: A listed unfused motor-circuit switch having a horsepower rating not less than the motor horsepower shall be permitted to have an ampere rating less than 115 percent of the full-load current rating of the motor.
(B) For Torque Motors. Disconnecting means for a torque motor shall have an ampere rating of at least 115 percent of the motor nameplate current.
(C) For Combination Loads. Where two or more motors are used together or where one or more motors are used in combination with other loads, such as resistance heaters, and where the combined load may be simultaneous on a single disconnecting means, the ampere and horsepower ratings of the combined load shall be determined as follows.
(1) Horsepower Rating. The rating of the disconnecting means shall be determined from the sum of all currents, including resistance loads, at the full-load condition and also at the locked-rotor condition. The combined full-load current and the combined locked-rotor current so obtained shall be considered as a single motor for the purpose of this requirement as follows.
The full-load current equivalent to the horsepower rating of each motor shall be selected from Table 430.247, Table 430.248, Table 430.249, or Table 430.250. These full-load currents shall be added to the rating in amperes of other loads to obtain an equivalent full-load current for the combined load.
The locked-rotor current equivalent to the horsepower rating of each motor shall be selected from Table 430.251(A) or Table 430.251(B). The locked-rotor currents shall be added to the rating in amperes of other loads to obtain an equivalent locked-rotor current for the combined load. Where two or more motors or other loads cannot be started simultaneously, the largest sum of locked-rotor currents of a motor or group of motors that can be started simultaneously and the full-load currents of other concurrent loads shall be permitted to be used to determine the equivalent locked-rotor current for the simultaneous combined loads. In cases where different current ratings are obtained when applying these tables, the largest value obtained shall be used.
Exception: Where part of the concurrent load is resistance load, and where the disconnecting means is a switch rated in horsepower and amperes, the switch used shall be permitted to have a horsepower rating that is not less than the combined load of the motor(s), if the ampere rating of the switch is not less than the locked-rotor current of the motor(s) plus the resistance load.
(2) Ampere Rating. The ampere rating of the disconnecting means shall not be less than 115 percent of the sum of all currents at the full-load condition determined in accordance with 430.110(C)(1).
Exception: A listed nonfused motor-circuit switch having a horsepower rating equal to or greater than the equivalent horsepower of the combined loads, determined in accordance with 430.110(C)(1), shall be permitted to have an ampere rating less than 115 percent of the sum of all currents at the full-load condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.