110-11------- wives tale????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcooper

I was looking to get a rough on an additon over a garage. The garage doors have not been installed and it is pretty much wide open and the inspector failed it before enrty sighting the building has to be 'weather tight' by the contractor before I even start my rough wiring.
I beleive he said Art. 110 - 11.
I have always thought the building has to be weather tight before I start and noone ever enforced it.... but after looking at Art. 110 - 11 I think I am wrong.
I spoke with another electrican and he said that the 'weather tight' was removed from the code yrs ago.

Does anyone know what code cycle it was last used in and if I am in violation per NEC?

FYI the wiring is all 'protected against damage' from the weather

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are some inspectors that demand there be windows and a roof. This makes sense but I don't believe there is any code on it. Since nm is for dry location it is often not allowed to be installed where subject to wetness. Why would a garage door make a difference.

Art. 334.10(A) states nm to be installed in normally dry locations-- I suspect even a house without the siding could be considered normally dry.

I think 110.3(B) would be more applicable.

iwire

Staff member
I think the code is kind of contradictory about this.

First we have the Article 100 definition of dry location.

Location, Dry. A location not normally subject to dampness
or wetness. A location classified as dry may be temporarily
subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a
building under construction.

To me that recognizes that some of our electrical products for dry locations may get wet during construction.

But than we have 110.11, here is the last paragraph.

Equipment not identified for outdoor use and equipment
identified only for indoor use, such as ?dry locations,? ?indoor
use only,? ?damp locations,? or enclosure Types 1, 2,
5, 12, 12K, and/or 13, shall be protected against damage
from the weather during construction.

So that sounds like your choices are protecting the wiring or waiting till the building is closed in. Pretty common in my area to have to wait.

dcooper

110 - 3 (b) seens to be for energized use. This is still in rough wiring stages. The panel is going in the garage. The wires that are in the garage are currently protected from the weather.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So if the panel, etc is protected from the weather how could there be permanent damage as specified in 110.11. Many panels are installed in garages and doors are often left open-- at least around here. Oh yeah after you move in don't open your windows unless you have weatherproof plates on the switches and receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.