Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

I wish I would have thought of this in time to make a proposal for the 2008. Has anyone thoughtof trying to remove the whole "neat and workmanlike" nonsense from the code? How in the world does this fall within the "practical safegaurding of persons and property" intent of the NEC?

I think I will make a proposal for the 2011 cycle.

jbwhite

Re: 110.12

Just add an exception. slap happy and laxidazical is allowed as long as all other provisions of artical 90 through 830 are meet.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Just define "neat" as $10 to the Inspector, "workmanlike" as $10 to the Inspector, and "neat and workmanlike" as $15 to the Inspector (special deal price). :D :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Ryan,
I don't see a need for the "neat and workmanlike" wording. In my opinion, if it is not neat and workmanlike, then in almost all cases there will be a "real" code violation to cite. However, it is highly unlikely that the CMP will remove that working.
Don

jbwhite

I have never been sited for this, and I suppose it is realy a judgement call but, i beleive it needs to stay, as a reminder of what we are all trying to achieve.

110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment
shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

It does not say "apon completion", or "when done" meaing that the entire exicution of the job should be done in a professional manner.

I use this alot when the job site gets too messy. I tell my workers that they are in a violation of the NEC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Since there is no way to define what this means, it probably should be tossed out. I really do not like statements like this in either the code or specs. It means whatever the guy who reads it wants it to mean.

I once had someone tell me this means conduit has to be painted to match the color scheme in the area it is routed though (probably because he forgot to include painting of the conduit in his spec and the EC did not include that in their proposal).

Status
Not open for further replies.