110.26(E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dccc_man

1- Section/Paragraph
110.26(E) Headroom. The minimum headroom of working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers shall be 2.0 m (6? ft). Where the electrical equipment exceeds 2.0 m (6? ft) in height, the minimum headroom shall not be less than the height of the equipment.
Exception: In existing dwelling units, service equipment or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall be permitted in spaces where the headroom is less than 2.0 m (6? ft).

2- Proposal Recommends New Text

3- Proposal
(E) Headroom. The minimum headroom of working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers shall be 2.0 m (6? ft). Where the electrical equipment exceeds 2.0 m (6? ft) in height, the minimum headroom shall not be less than the height of the equipment.
Exception: In existing dwelling units, existing or replacement service equipment or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall be permitted in spaces where the headroom is less than 2.0 m (6? ft).

4- Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Proposal
As written 110.26 (E) exception could and has been thought to mean that any existing dwelling no matter how old or new could have a service change and the new panel not have to comply to the six foot six inch rule as outlined in 110.26 (E)
As worded a new house the day after receiving a Certificate of Occupancy could have the service panel moved to a place such as a crawl space or under a deck.
There needs to be a more concise meaning as to the intent of the exception.

[ March 07, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: dccc_man ]

jwelectric

Re: 110.26(E)

DCCC
In your substantiation it might be good to state it more like this:
As worded a new house the day after receiving a Certificate of Occupancy could have the service panel moved to a place such as a crawl space or under a deck with a restricted height. What is to stop a panel from being installed where the head room is as little as four foot as long as it complies to all other requirements ot the code.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by dccc_man:
Exception: In existing dwelling units, existing or replacement service equipment or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall be permitted in spaces where the headroom is less than 2.0 m (6? ft).
I don't see that this could change the meaning in the way that you're wanting it to. Something along these lines might be clearer...

If existing service equipment or panelboards do not comply with the requirements of this section, replacement equipment shall be permitted to be installed in the same location, provided the replacement equipment does not exceed 200 amperes.

mc5w

I have seen all kinds of stuff built around electrical equipment. A lot of other trades do not realized that they are creating a violation when they build stuff so as to bury or partially bury something.

Right around Christmas in 1992 ( or was it Thanksgiving ) I went to visit the house that may parents had sold back in 1995 so that I could photodocument the first electrical service that I had built. The new owner was quite cooperative.

I also discovered that somebody had installed a relocated heating register so as to block off the cover for a junction box that I had installed when I upgraded the kitchen wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.