110.26 Interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGreene

I have 230/480 panelboards against a wall that I would like to protect from rolling material carts (accidental contact) I could install a 6" piece of angle iron on the floor that is not in the dedicated working space and does not interfere with door openings or panel fronts but it is only 6" away from the plane of the front panel. I don't want to install the angle on the floor at 36" if lit is ok to install at the foot of the panel for protection of the panel. Any interpretations?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The problem is, IMO, that it would be in the dedicated space by literal interpretation.
(From 110.26(F)(1): (a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height.............
(emphasis added).
In addition, many inspectors consider such installations to add a "trip hazard" for those working in/on the panels.
You certainly may get varied opinions, but I would say "not allowed"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the angle is off the wall at a distance greater then the panel depth then it's out of the required dedicated space. But it's still within the required workspace so either way it's NG. You could pour a concrete pad in front of the panel.

JGreene

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the interpretation. I think I can make IE happy and protect my panels by running lengths of angle iron parallel to the wall on both sides of the panels and notch out directly in front of the panel. Most of the traffic is parallel to the wall and the only time they could hit the panel is to run the cart directly toward the panel from the front and they would only do that once.

shepelec

I've seen railings set up like a gate to guard panels from damage.

This might be a stretch of the intent but I'm not sure I would have an issue with it.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.