110.26 Panelboards Raised Above Pit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD84

I have an installation where I need to install two panelboards to service equipment in a pit that is 24" below grade. The customer is recommending to install the panels, one each, on existing columns which are located at grade above the 24" deep pit. I am concerned that the working space is not established.

In one case I believe it is suitable because the raised area about the column extends out 44" and is 44" wide.

In the other case, the raised area extends only 16" from the column and is 36" wide. Here I do not have a clear working space in front of the panel. Once I mount the panel and it extends 6" from the column I will have 10" of the 24" high raised area extending 10" from the panel. This is comfortable working in however I question if it is acceptable. A possible solution would be to extend the mounting of the panel so that its is flush with the protrusion of the raised area.

Please let me know your thoughts and interpretation here. I have attached a couple simple drawings of the area.
1.jpg 2.jpg

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree. What you can do, however, is to build a support system (e.g., unistrut) that would place the front face of the panel directly above the front face of the concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.