110.26 working space transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky6030

Two questions I'm confused about 110.26 3ft clearance on a 35kva transformer? Transformers are not energized equipment in servicing correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This has been a matter of some debate. I am of the opinion that transformers do not require working clearance, for the reason you named. Others will say that you might want to perform a thermography exam of a transformer. That would have to be done live and with the covers off. So they would contend that working clearance is required.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This has been a matter of some debate. I am of the opinion that transformers do not require working clearance, for the reason you named. Others will say that you might want to perform a thermography exam of a transformer. That would have to be done live and with the covers off. So they would contend that working clearance is required.

It seems to me that the phrase the code uses about when working space is required is something along the lines of "likely to require". I don't see how IR thermography is ever "required". It might be desirable, and you might do it, but it is not 'required".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO this is one of the most poorly written sections of the NEC. The typically fall back response when the question arises is to "ask the AHJ". How is someone supposed to design and build a project if you need to constantly "ask the AHJ"?

IMO as Bob and Charlie have stated it's not required.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
Two questions I'm confused about 110.26 3ft clearance on a 35kva transformer? Transformers are not energized equipment in servicing correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But don't you have to check for absence of voltage as part of a lockout tagout to verify that an electrically safe work condition has been achieved? And for medium voltage I would expect then the need to apply personal protective grounds. In my opinion, working space is required during this activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.