112.5 KVA and up

Status
Not open for further replies.

lady sparks lover

1. I might need to put (2) 150 KVA transformers in the basement of a building. I know it needs to be combustion resistant, but what should the room or walls be made out of? It will be block wall, but I'm not sure if I need something extra.

2. Also, do they custom build meter stacks? I need a meter stack for a 100A service, 200A service, and 500/600A service. Usually the amps go up to 225 for cutler-hammer, but do you know if they will custom build this so I can add a CT cabinet for the 500/600A?

Sorry so long...

Lady :)

Edit: 150 KVA transformers..sorry

[ August 23, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: lady sparks lover ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: 112.5 KVA and up

Lady,
450.21(B) only requires a one hour rating. That can be met with drywall walls, so the block wall should be fine.
Don

raider1

Staff member

Chapter 7 of the 2003 IBC talks about fire resistant construction methods. Also there are many publications put out by various organizations like the Gypsum Association.

Chris.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Yes it is possible to get meter centers with integral CT mounting provisions for services larger than 320/400A.

Square D calls theirs Commercial Multi-metering and builds it using switchboard construction.

lady sparks lover

Originally posted by jim dungar:
Yes it is possible to get meter centers with integral CT mounting provisions for services larger than 320/400A.

Square D calls theirs Commercial Multi-metering and builds it using switchboard construction.
Here's my next dilemma...

They have to be 480V..yikes... :)

sandsnow

Originally posted by ryan_618:
Most transformers over 112.5 KVA that I am seeing meet exception number 2.
I agree, your standard dry type, but what kind of XFMR are they talking about in Exc. #1

Would it be an encapsulated type? I never seen these above about 15kVA.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Dave,
Don, where can one find the fire ratings of different types of wall construction?
UL has a set of books called "fire resistive assemblies" (I think that is the name, I don't have a set). These books show how to build many different types of fire resistive construction. It may also be covered in the building codes.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.