12/2 or 12/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Sadly, I've found even supposedly skilled electricians who are afraid to use MWBC's. :roll:

Back when I was wiring new houses in 1999/00 before the dawn of the AFCI, we would run tons of 3-wire circuits throughout the house. Those were the days. :cool:

You can still run mwbc's today. Most panel manufacturers have two pole AFCI circuit breakers. Do you save any money anymore running mwbc's? Probably not.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Sadly, I've found even supposedly skilled electricians who are afraid to use MWBC's. :roll:

Back when I was wiring new houses in 1999/00 before the dawn of the AFCI, we would run tons of 3-wire circuits throughout the house. Those were the days. :cool:
I'm surprised by the hysterical fear some electricians have of them too.

I never knew a day of wiring without them. For commercial it was always three hots and a neutral in conduit and for homes it was always 12-3 homeruns.

peter d

Typical response when you have nothing intelligent to post.:happyyes:

I'm aware that you can still use 3-wire circuits and 2-pole AFCI's. 2-pole AFCI's are expensive and not always readily available. Furthermore, given the nuisance tripping of AFCI's, most EC's would not want the headache of having 2 circuits lose power when (not if) it nuisance trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.