12-3AWG & GFCI Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I sometimes wrestle with when a 2p should or has to be a "Common" trip.
The common trip is required for automatic (overload or fault) operation, while the handle tie is for manual operation.

Normally, the former is only required for loads that use both poles.

hurk27

I think a MWBC feeding a circuit of receptacles that are required to be GFCI protected is one time a MWBC will always have a common trip if a GFCI breaker is going to be used, personally I don't like using GFCI breakers when a GFCI receptacle can be used, for one it is much nicer not to have to go find a breaker panel to reset it.

The only thing I can say about only using 2 20 amp circuits is this customer is not going to be a happy camper when they realize how many times they are going to trip the breaker, most of my kitchens will have at least 6-9 20 amp circuits, and if a counter is large enough to have over 4 receptacle openings, it will get another 20 amp circuit and GFCI receptacle, Never short change a kitchen, if you want happy and customers will want to use you again, don't do it.

I think the worst thing to happen is having breakers start blowing right after a homeowner who probably had this problem with their old home, goes through all the trouble of building a new dream home, and goes through this again, if it were me, I would blow a cork.

There is no way just two receptacle circuits would not trip with all the high wattage appliances we have today.
Now there is just no getting around a George Forman Grill, even with all the circuits I install they will still trip it, those need to be on there own circuit lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.