12-4 MC cable, phase taping 1 of the hots white

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Example, taping the red wire in a 12-4 MC cable white. Is it code Compliant? Thank you for your help.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
See 200.6(E). Seems to require that "the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation" per exception 1.

Cheers, Wayne

oldsparky52

Around here tape is not accepted for re identifying conductors. In Virginia it was, and when I moved here I failed an inspection over using tape to re identify a conductor. It happened to be taping a white one black.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Around here tape is not accepted for re identifying conductors. In Virginia it was, and when I moved here I failed an inspection over using tape to re identify a conductor. It happened to be taping a white one black.
OK, so if you are using NM cable how do you wire , say, a water heater?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Too bad we don't have Canadian NM, or what I like to call DC Romex, with black, red, and bare conductors.

Example, taping the red wire in a 12-4 MC cable white. Is it code Compliant? Thank you for your help.
Are you looking to have black, white, and white?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Too bad we don't have Canadian NM, or what I like to call DC Romex, with black, red, and bare conductors.

Are you looking to have black, white, and white?
I'm thinking you meant black, red, white, white? I think that's what the OP was saying. Tape the blue with white and have a 12-2-2.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm thinking you meant black, red, white, white? I think that's what the OP was saying. Tape the blue with white and have a 12-2-2.
He did say 12-4, didn't he? My bad.

Between you and me, I'd do it without a big worry for a single run or two. Ask your inspector first if that's a concern.

I've stripped the red to use as the regular EGC with 12-3 MC, and the green as the isolated ground, for an IG circuit.

But, strictly speaking, no, it's not really compliant. Coloring the white as an ungrounded conductor is more acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.