12 to 14 gauge wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Vermont

I recently saw an installation where an electrician changed out an old electric panel with a new one. The panel was moved slightly because of some water lines. Some of The existing 14 gauge wires did not make it into the panel.Was it legal to run 12 gauge wires and junction them to the 14's? The lines were protected by a 15 amp breaker. Thanks in advance for any replies.

nathan

Re: 12 to 14 gauge wire

Yes its fine but you could not go the other way ....12 wire is rated for 20amps so as long as the OCPD was at a smaller 15 amps its fine

racraft

Yes, this is legal per code. But I think that it is dangerous to do so. Dangerous because an unsuspecting homeowner might eventually see the 12 gauge wire and replace the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker, especially if he or she is getting nuisance trips on the circuit, not realizing that further down the circuit the wiring is only 14 guage.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by racraft:
But I think that it is dangerous to do so. Dangerous because an unsuspecting homeowner might eventually see the 12 gauge wire and replace the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker
I would say the "Dangerous" part of this is having unskilled people changing breakers. ;)

bphgravity

I agree with Bob.

I may need to increase conductor size for a host of reasons, including voltage drop, without also upsizing the OCD.

In these cases, we can not see what the owner of the equipment will do in the future and only hope that changes or alterations will not be made by those not qualified to check the reasoning behind the larger conductor size on a smaller OCD rating. :)

pierre

One way to try to avoid the replacement of a larger size breaker is to put a label on the conductor saying, 14 wire further downstream, DO NOT FUSE LARGER THAN 15 AMPS !!!

Pierre

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by pierre:
One way to try to avoid the replacement of a larger size breaker is to put a label on the conductor saying, 14 wire further downstream, DO NOT FUSE LARGER THAN 15 AMPS !!!

Pierre
That is a great idea, good for all of us, a little info goes a long way in our trade. :)

bphgravity

Proper labeling and circuit identification is one of the most under utilized practices in our trade as Bob has stated.

There is nothing worse than troubleshooting a loadenter with no panel circuit directory or circuit identifiers in j-boxes. Good call!

Status
Not open for further replies.