12 volt egress junction box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it permissible to surface mount 12 volt (or less) egress remote heads without a junction box? I just took over a job site with about 25 exit signs, each exit feeding a 12 volt (or less) egress emergency light on the other side of the 8” concrete wall. Normally I would absolutely make ANY & ALL splices in a junction box; it just seems like good craftsmanship. However, I’ve been designated the clean up batter after another foreman put the job in bad financial shape, so I’m forced to be more “economical” than usual. For the record, I’d like to have my 12 volt splices in a box, especially on the exterior of a building. Still, I’m not certain where to look this one up: Wiring Methods? Luminaries? Please provide a Code reference. Thanks.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Just because it's 12 volts doesn't mean anything. You have to determine if the circuit is CL2 or CL3 to not use boxes for devices and splices. If not CL2 or CL3 the circuit is Class 1 and you have to use Chapter 3 wiring methods, the same as line voltage for power and light.

Your code reference is Art. 725.

-Hal

JFletcher

Welcome to The Forum.

Hal is correct with his post. If you want to, or need to have junction boxes, I would make them on the inside on the block wall; it's less aesthetically displeasing, if exposed, you dont have to worry about moisture as much.

I'm not aware of any requirements to put Class 2 or 3 wiring splices in a box save for possibly classified area installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.