12 Volt External LED Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector141

Does 600.6 require an external disconnect switch for a 12 volt, class 2 LED sign? The driver is inside the building and the sign is only fed with a two wire, class 2 cable.

raider1

Staff member
I am not aware of any allowance in Article 600 that eliminates an LED sign from the disconnect requirements in 600.6.

Chris

inspector141

If a disconnect is required, do you agree that it would have to disconnect the branch circuit(line side of driver)? It seems rather silly to install a disconnect for the two 12 volt class 2 wires.

raider1

Staff member
If a disconnect is required, do you agree that it would have to disconnect the branch circuit(line side of driver)? It seems rather silly to install a disconnect for the two 12 volt class 2 wires.

The location of the disconnect would need to comply with 600.6(A)(1) or (2).

If the sign is operated by a time clock or other electrical or electromechanical means then you could have the disconnecting means located within sight of the controller provided that the disconnect meets the requirements of 600.6(A)(2).

Chris

inspector141

I'm specifically asking about the requirements in 600.6 and 600.6(A)(1). Of course a disconnect switch would be required for the controller. Most of the time in these office or warehouse type buildings, the controller is next to the panel. But I'm not asking if a disconnect switch for the controller.

Is a disconnect required for the LED sign, wether in site or out of site with conditions per 600.6(A)(1)?

raider1

Staff member
I'm specifically asking about the requirements in 600.6 and 600.6(A)(1). Of course a disconnect switch would be required for the controller. Most of the time in these office or warehouse type buildings, the controller is next to the panel. But I'm not asking if a disconnect switch for the controller.

Is a disconnect required for the LED sign, wether in site or out of site with conditions per 600.6(A)(1)?

Put a breaker lock on the branch circuit breaker and call it a day, in accordance with 600.6(A)(1).

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.