#12 wire landed on 15 amp breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinsco

A friend of mine told me he had a house where the home runs where 12/2 but then ran in 14/2 after that. He told his customer that the breakers that were 20 on those circuits needed to be changed to 15, but he told me that he thought in order to do that he needed to tail out the 12 gauge wire in the panel to 14 gauge in order to land on a 15 amp breaker.

In other words he is saying that you can not land 12 gauge wire on a 15 amp breaker because someone may think it can be changed to a 20 amp breaker. I think he is insane. Can any of you tell me what you think? Is there a code that supports what he is saying?

mcclary's electrical

There is no code to backup what he is saying. Actually, his worries are warranted, because someone definately could change to a 20 later on. But that's not his problem. He doesn't need the splice, but I wouldn't be mad if he did it.

Bobhook149

Just splicing on a 14awg wire is not a good enough identification for me. Need to tag it as well. But i don't disagree with the splicing. The more red flags the better.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.