120/240 vac

Status
Not open for further replies.

codequestion

Banned
I have 120/240 vac single phase incoming and downstream of that safety switch provided is 480V, 3 pole. Per code is that ok to use or need 2 pole 240V safety switch?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I have 120/240 vac single phase incoming and downstream of that safety switch provided is 480V, 3 pole. Per code is that ok to use or need 2 pole 240V safety switch?

You are using a switch rated for 480 volts on a circuit that is 120/240 volts? If so that is ok, you haven't exceeded volt rating of the switch.

BTW "safety switches" typically are either 240 volt rated or 600 volt rated.

codequestion

Banned
Ha...didnt find 480v online. Its non fuses safety switch (nfss) and three pole. Then it has to be 240vac since ob 130/240v circuit single phase. 3 pole acceptable?.
You are using a switch rated for 480 volts on a circuit that is 120/240 volts? If so that is ok, you haven't exceeded volt rating of the switch.

BTW "safety switches" typically are either 240 volt rated or 600 volt rated.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Ha...didnt find 480v online. Its non fuses safety switch (nfss) and three pole. Then it has to be 240vac since ob 130/240v circuit single phase. 3 pole acceptable?.

It is likely 600 volt rated (maybe only 250 volts DC) - nothing wrong with using it on less then 600 volts. Nothing wrong with only using just one pole or two poles either if that is all your application requires.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

Do you intentionally try to confuse us with your questions? or does it just come naturally?.... :D

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Just kidding with you.

Seriously though, for some manufacturers as soon as you select "Heavy Duty" and "Non Fused with or without Neutral" it automatically defaults to a 600v rated safety switch.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
Just kidding with you.

Seriously though, for some manufacturers as soon as you select "Heavy Duty" and "Non Fused with or without Neutral" it automatically defaults to a 600v rated safety switch.

JAP>
And even if the have a catalog number for a two pole unit, it is same thing as three pole unit with parts missing out of one pole. Supply house possibly only stocks the three pole and a two pole would be special order and possibly cost more anyway.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
And even if the have a catalog number for a two pole unit, it is same thing as three pole unit with parts missing out of one pole. Supply house possibly only stocks the three pole and a two pole would be special order and possibly cost more anyway.

True.

And, when comparing a general duty disconnect and a heavy duty disconnect although the name sounds appealing, there's really not a ton of difference in them other than the arc chutes and possible the finger safe shields.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
True.

And, when comparing a general duty disconnect and a heavy duty disconnect although the name sounds appealing, there's really not a ton of difference in them other than the arc chutes and possible the finger safe shields.

JAP>
I've seen general duty that don't appear to have as robust of contact components as HD. Also seen general duty that don't have a cover interlock but HD always do.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen general duty that don't appear to have as robust of contact components as HD. Also seen general duty that don't have a cover interlock but HD always do.

Oh,,, I forgot,,,,, your a Sq. D guy... :p

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
Oh,,, I forgot,,,,, your a Sq. D guy... :p

JAP>

Once saw a Square D general duty 200 amp switch - contacts/blades or whatever you want to call them were similar design to those in about every GE switch I can recall seeing (not sure if the GE was general or HD though)

norcal

Once saw a Square D general duty 200 amp switch - contacts/blades or whatever you want to call them were similar design to those in about every GE switch I can recall seeing (not sure if the GE was general or HD though)

The current designs of Siemens & Cutler-Hammer safety switches also are copies of GE :(, still remember a comment made to me years ago, "If you want a switch to burn up, use GE." , their design does lend it's self to overheating, one loose screw in the plastic base & they cook.

kwired

Electron manager
The current designs of Siemens & Cutler-Hammer safety switches also are copies of GE :(, still remember a comment made to me years ago, "If you want a switch to burn up, use GE." , their design does lend it's self to overheating, one loose screw in the plastic base & they cook.
Maybe I should ask if Square D is the only one that has a general duty and a heavy duty line of switches?

Nearly all others I have seen seem to be lighter duty then Square D's heavy duty switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.