120 and 277 volt in same relay panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can 120 and 277 volt lighting circuits from 2 different panels be routed thru the same low-voltage relay panel?

Is there a code violation having different voltages from different sources within the same enclosure. Neither circuit is connected to an emergency system.

Thanks!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sparky5150 said:
Is it possible for Article 404.8 B to apply?

404.8(B) applies to snap switches. The OP makes no mention of adjacent snap switches so I would say that it does not apply.

haskindm

I don't believe that even the most creative interpretation would classify a relay panel as a "snap switch", so I can't see how 404.8 can apply. If you are installing snap switches then barriers may need to be installed.

Thanks for the replies! I just needed to know if there were any other references in the code similar to 404 regarding seperation of voltage, but I guess not.

If there were enough 120 volt circuits in the building that needed to be controlled by relays I would add an additional relay panel, but there are only 3 120 volt circuits. I will run them thru the same relay panel as the 277 volt circuits.

rzuffi

I know for a fact that Lutron has switching panels that accept 120/277/347/220-240V in their Softswitch512 line.

Status
Not open for further replies.