120 volt, 10 amp branch circuit

WCEI

Occupation
President/Owner, Wayne Cook Electric, Inc.
I was looking in the 23 code to see what changes were coming concerning arc fault requirements. ( We are under the 2020 code here in VA). I noticed the addition of “10” to the description of 15 and 20 amp, 120 volt branch circuits. Is this to comply with a type of branch circuit that is typical internationally?
Or is this something new coming down the Pike here in the US?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I believe the intent is allow the use of smaller conductors for LED lighting circuits since they draw so little current.

WCEI

Occupation
I believe the intent is allow the use of smaller conductors for LED lighting circuits since they draw so little current.
That makes sense. Thank you. I’ve not seen anything like that yet, but it makes sense that it’s coming. Low voltage LED’s, ie, under cabinet lighting, is pretty versatile, but at 12 or 24 volts, it has its limits. Drive those puppies with 120 volts and you can really kick out the lumens.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The whole 10 amp thing was driven by the copper-clad-aluminum people. They were looking to add 14 AWG copper-clad-aluminum rated at 10 amps to the code. That did not happen in the 2023 code, but from reading the ballots for the 2026 code, it appears that 14 AWG copper-clad-aluminum will appear in the First Draft Report that should be released tomorrow.

WCEI

Occupation
The whole 10 amp thing was driven by the copper-clad-aluminum people. They were looking to add 14 AWG copper-clad-aluminum rated at 10 amps to the code. That did not happen in the 2023 code, but from reading the ballots for the 2026 code, it appears that 14 AWG copper-clad-aluminum will appear in the First Draft Report that should be released tomorrow.
To serve what, lighting? Or would it bring about 10 amp receptacle branch circuits?